HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » I Am John Crawford - Stop...

Tue Oct 7, 2014, 03:27 PM

I Am John Crawford - Stop Police Brutality

Interesting words from the organizer:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/10/07/3576457/ohio-gun-rights-leader-police-shooting-victim-likely-would-not-have-been-killed-if-he-were-white/

“I’ve said from the very beginning that race was a factor,” said Virgil Vaduva, who founded Open Carry Ohio. As someone who has long openly carried a gun and associated with others — mostly white — who do the same, Vaduva has first-hand experience with how white gun carriers are treated, even in that very same Beavercreek Wal-Mart where Crawford was shot. Vaduva says he has openly carried his gun there. “If John Crawford were white, if he did not look like he were ‘from the hood’ , I think he would still be alive today.”...

Vaduva articulated similar wishes to ThinkProgress. While one of the primary goals of all of Open Carry Ohio’s protests is to make the public aware of the state’s open carry law, he said in the case of Crawford, he, too, would like to see Ritchie held accountable. And he would like to see Williams fired if not federally prosecuted.

As for police training, he said he already asked that of police three years ago, when an individual called 911 on him for having a gun at a restaurant. At the time, he had a beard and was wearing a knit hat, and speculated “Maybe I looked a bit too much like a hippy.” Vaduva said the 911 caller described him and his friend as “two crazy guys” but police didn’t take that as a trigger to shoot or even injure him. And he said in the years since, he has dressed nicely while carrying his gun and has never had an incident.

“Unfortunately Beavercreek is a white town,” said Vaduva, a self-described libertarian. “Race was a factor. I am certain.”

3 replies, 1568 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply I Am John Crawford - Stop Police Brutality (Original post)
friendly_iconoclast Oct 2014 OP
nomorenomore08 Oct 2014 #1
friendly_iconoclast Oct 2014 #2
raging moderate Dec 2014 #3

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Original post)

Tue Oct 7, 2014, 04:39 PM

1. Good for Mr. Vaduva. I wish more self-described libertarians were like him.

Unfortunately, most seem to have a rather narrow concept of "freedom" that tends to exclude anyone not white and male.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to nomorenomore08 (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 8, 2014, 03:18 PM

2. There are a few 'Left libertarians' around. Most do not identify as libertarians...

...as the "Republicans who like to smoke weed" have preempted the word lately.

Reply to this post

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Original post)

Sat Dec 6, 2014, 12:43 AM

3. What's wrong with Ohio?

I can't believe this murder has been swept under the rug.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread