HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » 50 years ago today, Montg...

Wed Mar 25, 2015, 08:05 AM

50 years ago today, Montgomery, Alabama...

"How long? Not long, because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

3 replies, 944 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 50 years ago today, Montgomery, Alabama... (Original post)
yallerdawg Mar 2015 OP
malthaussen Mar 2015 #1
Diclotican Mar 2015 #2
yallerdawg Mar 2015 #3

Response to yallerdawg (Original post)

Wed Mar 25, 2015, 08:44 AM

1. How long?

Not in your lifetime, Martin.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to yallerdawg (Original post)

Wed Mar 25, 2015, 11:30 AM

2. yallerdawg

yallerdawg

I have seen this speech many times in the past - but still get goosebumps from it - and I am as white as it goes back in time - at least to the mid 1300s..

It is a sad fact - mr Kings speech is a reality today - as it was back in 1965 - and will be a reality as long as hatred, bigotry and ignorance exist.... And it looks like even if it is 50 years ago - it is valid as today - and will be maybe for 50 more years....

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Response to Diclotican (Reply #2)

Wed Mar 25, 2015, 06:27 PM

3. Saw this speech today.

Rev. Beatrice King read her fathers "How Long, Not Long" speech and it was an inspirational tearjerker, followed by the daughter of Gov. George Wallace.

She gave the speech on the state capitol steps which Dr. King was blocked from 50 years ago, with Wallace maybe looking occasionally out his office window. Today, the Republican governor 'gamely' attended the voting rights rally just like in Selma a few days ago, where he was roundly booed by this, can we say, partisan crowd?

There is nothing like gathering with a bunch of progressive Democrats aching for justice right here in the Heart of Dixie. It lets us know, we are not alone! Even in these darkest of days.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread