HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » ABC Nightline: Documentar...

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 06:03 AM

ABC Nightline: Documentary sheds light on roots of the alt-right movement (sexual frustration)

Trump as Troll King.

11 replies, 2337 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 06:16 AM

1. Sorry but I understand their next anticipated target .There is a fine line between some left not ALL

of course and these folks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lunasun (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 07:47 AM

4. They've been successful targeting a certain type.

It was mentioned that younger people for whom the Right has always been unfashionable are now attracted to the alt-right. This has been my theory, that the Bush administration destroyed the Republican Party as anything a young person would want to be associated with, but a certain type of person (selfish, arrogant, privileged, blames others, insensitive, ignorant yet thinks they're the smartest guy in the room) that twenty years ago would be a Republican is now attracted to the alt-right/libertarianism/alt-left because they think it's edgy and cool. Pseudo-rebels who would've been yuppies in the 80s.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 07:25 AM

2. "Incels". Bill Mahr nailed this a few years ago - from altrignt to shooters to suicide bombers

The common theme has been that they can't get laid. Gamers (Bannon jumped into that world aggressively) are included in this.

I wasn't familiar with the term "Incels" but that is spot on. In this day and age that's simply pathetic. Casual sex or at least contact is back in fashion and access is unbelievable- getting over the first awkward step of facing rejection. As pathetic as these guys are in action their social inaction is even worse. I say this as a member of the generation who came of age when suddenly sex could kill you. Not complaining - not a lady killer by any means but I've had more than my share.

THESE are the "400 pound guys in their parents basement" that Trump alluded to and I don't think that was any accident. It was a wink and a nod.

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 07:52 AM

5. can't watch the video right now

but, "incels" Involuntarily Celibate?

When I was younger and couldn't get laid, I tended to blame myself, not others.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 08:43 AM

6. And that's the hook: "It's not YOUR fault, it's the SJWs and emasculating PC".

From there it's on to "decline of Western culture" and all the rest.

Reply to this post

Response to JHB (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 09:50 AM

8. of course it's not their fault...

Granted, I fell for some of that back in my 20s when women would turn me down for being "too nice" and I would be upset if I saw them with a guy that wasn't always nice to them...but, I realized it was more that my quiet, laid back personality was viewed as boring. So, I didn't get out and join the MRA and start slamming feminazis online. (I think SJWs is a more recent term - but, early to late 90s was when I was single it was Rush Limbaugh's "Feminazi" that was the term-du-jour)

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 10:27 AM

11. Is it just me, or is it usual that if a person isn't promiscuous they're involuntarily celibate

a lot of the time? That seems normal. I certainly was until I met my husband at twenty-nine. I found out my nickname at the office we both worked in was Marlene Dietrich. Of course I blamed my personality for not attracting boys, not others.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 07:41 AM

3. My uncle.

His wife left him. He took a job driving long haul and the next time I saw him all he could talk about was discovering Rush Limbaugh. He's now a total lost cause.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 09:57 AM

9. Theyve never head of Plenty of Fish??

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 AM

10. Virgin snowflakes whining about their social akwardness and inability to relate to women.

Sad.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread