HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Paleo-Conservative George...

Sat Jun 22, 2019, 10:46 PM

Paleo-Conservative George Will compares The Reublican Party to

Last edited Thu Jun 27, 2019, 11:52 AM - Edit history (1)

The Communist Party.

12 replies, 2606 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Koch Ebola (Original post)

Sat Jun 22, 2019, 11:11 PM

1. 11 min+ clip

he says it in the 1st 3 mins
thankfully

✌🏼️

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 22, 2019, 11:50 PM

2. To any authoritarian party, really

No surprise that today's GOP is the only major party in the entire developed world to meet all 14 criteria for fascism.

Reply to this post

Response to sandensea (Reply #2)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 09:18 AM

6. Authoritarian governments tend to look the same...

more or less.

When a country goes full on authoritarian, there is usually little to separate "right" from "left" with regards to living conditions.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #6)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 01:16 PM

9. +1

And both tend to succumb to endemic corruption as well.

That's how the Soviet Union actually fell: So much of their output was pilfered by local Communist officials here and there, to be sold for hard currency as off-the books exports, that there was never enough for domestic needs (the famous bread lines).

Dictatorship meant almost zero accountability, from the Politburo on down to the local commissars (many of whom were crooks, and later became oligarchs).

Anyone who complained, fell off a fifth-story window.

By the late '70s, they were relying on secret IMF loans, and when the price of oil - their top hard currency earner - collapsed in '86, they collapsed with it.

Right-wing dictatorships have had the same problem, of course: Marcos, Mobutu, the Shah, Suharto, Videla, etc. - all collapsed due to Romney-style corruption (rack up huge debts in the company's name, pocket the proceeds offshore, and then strip the assets).

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 12:10 AM

3. Jeez, I heard this years ago. From people who are NOT invited on Meet The Press.

Republicans have been turning on a dime for a couple of decades now.

One set of rules for Clinton. Different set for Bush. Change again for Obama. Change again for Trump.

IOKIYAR is NOT a new acronym.

Instead of Will, who might have bothered himself to say something about this during his career, how about Chuckie have on people who saw this coming back when it was coming and not here upon us.

Reply to this post

Response to JHB (Reply #3)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 01:39 AM

5. There you go. George Will is supposed to be Conservative Intelligentzia and he's just now tumbling?

Reply to this post

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 11:50 AM

8. George Will

knows the definitions of, and can pronounce correctly, a lot of big words. Other than that, the term "Intelligentzia" is just laughable when applied to him. He always sounds to me like he's just puking up the dictionary he swallowed in 1975.

I despise Chuck Todd. He's the absolute worst of the "both sides"-ers, but his producers put together some interesting clips. I wish there was a way to get them played on Fox--they'd be scraping exploded heads off of walls from Miami to Boise.

Reply to this post

Response to kag (Reply #8)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 06:22 PM

11. I agree.

Being articulate is often mistaken for intelligence. Not always so.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 12:13 AM

4. I'm old enough to remember when "Paleo-Conservative" meant Pat Buchanon...

..., the man who never heard of a Nazi concentration camp guard he wouldn't defend, and Will was merely a "mainline" conservative.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 11:27 AM

7. It's come to this, George. Do you not think you contributed to the current "environment" by

your consistently siding with the pubs as they went on their long slide to what we've got today. Did you not have the teensiest bit of fear that this just might have a very bad outcome?

You POS...

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 05:46 PM

10. I hate George Will with a passion. Yes, he no criticizes the GOP for deviating from their

traditional platform. But he still bashes liberals and the Democratic Party in the next breath, using much more offensive and indefensible rhetoric. He's a phoney.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 07:43 PM

12. We don't care, asshole - take your sesquipedalian tergiversation and get fucked

You built this, clown.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread