HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » 50 Years Ago Today

Tue Jun 5, 2018, 10:48 AM

50 Years Ago Today

June 5, 1968

Sirhan Sirhan, a Palestinian-Jordanian immigrant, shot Senator Bobby Kennedy with a .22 revolver, just as Bobby was coming out of the kitchen into Los Angeles’ Ambassador Hotel lobby.

1 replies, 383 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply 50 Years Ago Today (Original post)
MosheFeingold Jun 2018 OP
Kittycow Jun 2018 #1

Response to MosheFeingold (Original post)

Tue Jun 5, 2018, 11:42 AM

1. I actually saw him speak at my then small town high school

in Bend Oregon shortly before he moved on to California. I was fifteen and so excited to see a celebrity!

I wish I remembered more of his visit. I do remember him charging down the aisle in the auditorium and during the Q&A, an adult asked him how his big brood of kids were doing and everyone chuckled at his answer.

I then remember him getting into a convertible car out front and there was a black and white (?) shaggy dog of some sort jumping into the car. I was somewhat nearby and objected to this, but a policeman pushed me back and then my Hippie Teen Ass was all about police brutality. I think I read later he traveled with his dog.

The day he got shot, my mom came up and told me and said I could stay home from school with their OK, so I walked over there, pled my case to the principal Mrs Jefferson and was able to go back home to watch the news all day.

God, it's painful to remember this as an adult

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread