HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Got a scam call . They sa...

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:32 PM

Got a scam call . They said they were from Socal Security, said my account was suspended, ....

..............................NEW SCAM GOING AROUND............................................

It was a San Diego number 619-245-4623. I called and they asked for my name. I said no, & asked who was calling me, and they hung up. Brand New scam call. Beware. I checked one of the scam web sites, and yes, others have received this.

20 replies, 751 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Got a scam call . They said they were from Socal Security, said my account was suspended, .... (Original post)
Stuart G May 2019 OP
CurtEastPoint May 2019 #1
dem4decades May 2019 #2
Stuart G May 2019 #5
dem4decades May 2019 #9
ret5hd May 2019 #16
revmclaren May 2019 #3
50 Shades Of Blue May 2019 #4
hlthe2b May 2019 #6
Me. May 2019 #7
Iliyah May 2019 #8
Stuart G May 2019 #14
dixiegrrrrl May 2019 #18
Wellstone ruled May 2019 #10
SoCalNative May 2019 #11
Stuart G May 2019 #12
question everything May 2019 #13
zipplewrath May 2019 #15
wryter2000 May 2019 #17
Cold War Spook May 2019 #19
mitch96 May 2019 #20

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:34 PM

1. Our gov does a LOT of things right. I wish it were COMMON KNOWLEDGE that NO agency will

call you. If they want you, they know where you are and they will mail you via USPS.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:35 PM

2. At least the student loan scam call gave you a reference number.

I didn't think you were supposed to call them back though. Who knows, if it was fun and they didn't learn anything why not.

Reply to this post

Response to dem4decades (Reply #2)

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:38 PM

5. These jerks have a lot of nerve. But impersonating a government agency is probably

against the law. These people will get caught.

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #5)

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:41 PM

9. I had one that called saying they were from a government agency and signed off with a god bless you.

A dead give away

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #5)

Mon May 13, 2019, 03:11 PM

16. Caught by who? The authorities in India? Sri Lanka?

China? Russia?

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:36 PM

3. My daughter got one of these calls last week.

Social Security will never call you.

ONLY!!! 2019 and beyond.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:37 PM

4. I either don't answer calls from numbers I don't reocgnize anymore, or I pick up and say nothing.

I hear a lot of dial tones, LOL.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:39 PM

6. Google these numbers, rather than answering. This is a known SS scammer.

then block the number and ignore.

https://www.scammer.info/d/18394-ssa-scam-619-245-4623

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:39 PM

7. They Never Call

unless in response to a call you initiated. They always send a letter.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:41 PM

8. Me too. Didn't answer the call and it sent to voice mail,

about two months ago. Recording with a deep male voice advised me that they had suspended my SS card. 800 number and advised me to call back for details and left another 800 number. I deleted the number asap.

My cousin got a call a similar call as well, but this one was about holding her SS check because of a problem. Left number to call. She also deleted the number. No problems receiving her SS check.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #8)

Mon May 13, 2019, 02:36 PM

14. Thank You Iliyah, It is good to know that I am not the only one at DU that got this.

The people who make these calls are vicious and awful. They are counting on a number of people will get suckered and send money. But impersonating the Social Security Admin. is against the law. And these scammers know it. They are like many others who cheat and lie, they assume they will never get caught.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #8)

Mon May 13, 2019, 04:54 PM

18. at least you could hear them when they called.

Those calls have been happening here in Ala. The one I got, on my answering machine, was a very bad recording, some woman, a few words were intelligible.

EVERY incoming call to the house phone goes thru the answering machine.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 01:42 PM

10. Boy oh boy,

kept track of the number of these calls last week. As of Saturday,we got 15 and they came from numbers in New York,Indiana,South Dakota,Kansas,Oregon and Missouri.

Noticed a new tactic,they are loading Voice Mails.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 02:16 PM

11. I received one of these the other day

I didn't answer as I didn't recognize the number, but they left a voicemail that my SS account had been suspended and to call the number for more information. Mind you it wasn't even a human voice but computer generated.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 02:22 PM

12. Yes...a real update on this. I called both the Social Security Admin, and the San Diego Police Dept.

1. At Social Security Admin. I reported this, and the person who answered took down some info.
..............also, I was told to contact the San Diego Police...

2. I called the San Diego Police Department, waited for a while and when they finally answered, the officer told me they are getting lots of calls, but she asked did I send or give any money?...So, I said, No, I hung up on them.. Then the officer said, you have not been scammed, so if you want, call your local police department to report this. I live in a suburb near Chicago, don't know if I will go to the police..?? Hell, it was a phone call, and I hung up. San Diego Police did take down the number, but I was told unless the number took my money, that nothing would be done. The officer said she had gotten the same scam call, that it is from a local computer and that the computer can change the number from time to time.
...Then I was told to call my local police department to report it. Also the San Diego Police Officer told me to call the FBI. They cover that sort of thing.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 02:27 PM

13. Neither the Social Security, nor the IRS, nor any government agency calls

nor do they email.

If they need to contact you, they send a letter.

And, really, never never use their links or their phone numbers. Even though it is local, it can be routed to a foreign country where you will be charged several dollars a minute!

!

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 02:37 PM

15. Not even sure what that means

I got one of those, but really, it doesn't make any sense. What does "suspending" your social security "account" mean? It's not a credit card. It's not a license. It's a way for the government to track you fiscally. You really think the government is going to "suspend" that?

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 03:18 PM

17. I've heard that one

Pretty scary for people who don't understand the system.

I once called "the IRS" back to give the scammers a piece of my mind. I haven't heard that one in a while, maybe (I hope) because there was a big bust in India of scammers doing the IRS thing.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 05:18 PM

19. Never ever return a call if you don't know who called you.

Some scammers will transfer your call overseas and you will be billed for it. I don't answer calls from blocked number either. Also, I save each spam number under spam so I don't have to answer it. Sometimes when I am really bored I will keep a spammer on the line for as long as I can. Finally, I will tell them that I am not allowed to make financial decisions so send me all your information and I will turn it over to my fiduciary but will not give them her name.

Reply to this post

Mon May 13, 2019, 05:21 PM

20. If I'm feeling "feisty" that day

They call, I answer and listen to the spheel.. I then tell them to hold on for a second. I put the phone down and walk away.... After a few min I hear the dial tone...
You fuck with my time? I fuck with yours....HA! Time is money...
m

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread