HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I got a cell phone that I...

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 12:23 AM

I got a cell phone that I have not used in a few days. Got the "social security scam call 4 times

when I finally recharged it up and listened to the voice mail. In 3 days 4 scam calls saying my social security account "has fraudulent activity" call this number. This is the largest scam going on now. We talked about it months ago, but the calls do not stop, they increase....Here is one very important aspect of this:

If the scam did not work, and people were not sucked in, then the scam would decrease, not increase. More calls mean more scammers are trying it...

The Social Security Administration will never call you out of the blue, and ask for a number NEVER...

5 replies, 302 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply I got a cell phone that I have not used in a few days. Got the "social security scam call 4 times (Original post)
Stuart G Oct 3 OP
Sherman A1 Oct 3 #1
neeksgeek Oct 3 #2
abqtommy Oct 3 #3
Collimator Oct 3 #4
smirkymonkey Oct 3 #5

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 04:13 AM

1. My sister got one of those earlier this year

and the calling message said that the police would be coming to get her. At the end it said "have a nice day", we just laughed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 05:02 AM

2. Last time I got a scam call...

It was a live person, offering to lower my credit card interest rates. I don’t have any credit cards. So, I sang them a little ditty that just popped into my head

“If you’re scamming and you know it, up your a**.”
“If you’re scamming and-“

They hung up before the second line ended! No more calls from that number.

I use a call-blocking app named Hiya. Works well.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 06:19 AM

3. After the UK brouhaha over unethical journalists accessing peoples' voice mail I came up with

a simple solution: when I get a new cell phone I DO NOT ACTIVATE the voice mail feature!

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 08:53 AM

4. I used my customer service skills. . .

. . .To "control the call" when they reached out to me. I kept asking him which Social Security office he was calling from. Then, when he warned me about "the authorities", I went on and on about how much I love my country and mentioned that I have a pamphlet with a copy of the Constitution.

I kept pushing him about which office he was calling from and could I get the number and enthusiastically proclaiming my love for America until he was desperate to end the call.

(Yes, I enjoyed myself a little too much. Being a customer service rep sorta broke me and I needed a little revenge.)

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 09:07 AM

5. I just got that call for the first time yesterday.

I ignored the call and deleted the message. I figured it was a scam.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread