HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Job Offer & the Rollercoa...

Sat Dec 12, 2020, 09:59 PM

Job Offer & the Rollercoaster of this Year

One came in this week. I actually am still processing, & can't quite believe it.

I did my thesis defense 2 weeks ago (& celebrated here).
Its been the most labor intensive year for no pay, ever. Yet I was glad i had the option of school.

Have never been laid off, and like many, I did not think that conditions in my lifetime--would predicate going months and months past the usual "save for three to six months" guideline. I know I'm fortunate I had any savings. It's been a long, sleepless, white-knuckle ride. So many times I said "i want off this ride". But have a new perspective i think. Going to try to take nothing for granted.

Add to that, hugs. Who among us ever thought hugs would be taken away? They are for all things. Frustration. Sadness. Loss. Forgiveness. Celebration. Salutations. If you've got someone to hug, do it!

I adopted a grown cat from a farm this week. Skinny, hungry guy, but a lover. (Maybe a good cat hug was the lucky charm I needed.) His name might end up being something related to luck.

6 replies, 440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Job Offer & the Rollercoaster of this Year (Original post)
leighbythesea2 Dec 2020 OP
Karadeniz Dec 2020 #1
leighbythesea2 Dec 2020 #4
Yavin4 Dec 2020 #2
leighbythesea2 Dec 2020 #6
Fla Dem Dec 2020 #3
leighbythesea2 Dec 2020 #5

Response to leighbythesea2 (Original post)

Sat Dec 12, 2020, 11:50 PM

1. Congratulations! Has kitty been to the vet? For worms, you don't even need to take kitty. Just put

Some poop in a baggy... less than12 hrs old...and drop it off.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Karadeniz (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 09:19 PM

4. Made appt!

Hes doing ok & we go in soon.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 12:31 AM

2. Congrats and good luck.

The first thing that you need to do is rebuild your savings, esp. given your recent experience.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 09:25 PM

6. Thank you

And you know that's job one. Yikes.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 12:38 PM

3. Hope the job offer works out for you, Congratulations.

It's been a really strange time in all our lives. No hugs, not interacting with family and friends, constant political upheavals with the pillars of our constitutional republic being threaten by an egomaniac, supported by power hungry members of our government. Riots in the streets. It can be and is depressing.

So look to the positive things in our lives. You have completed your thesis defense, you've got a job offer, hopefully you're in good health and you rescued a wonderful older cat.

He's a lover because he knows you saved him. Give him all the love he needs and he will continue to give it back to you.

Reply to this post

Response to Fla Dem (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 09:23 PM

5. Yes

He is great. & he gets a carry around in the am which is mutually enjoyable. & I'm grateful for the ups this year. Lot of sideways, but we will all have less dread for the news, very soon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread