HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Soviet TV version of Lord...

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 01:16 PM

Soviet TV version of Lord of the Rings rediscovered after 30 years (youtube link included)

Russian-language film posted on YouTube delights fans with its rudimentary sets and ludicrous special effects

A Soviet television adaptation of The Lord of the Rings thought to have been lost to time was rediscovered and posted on YouTube last week, delighting Russian-language fans of JRR Tolkien.

The 1991 made-for-TV film, Khraniteli, based on Tolkienís The Fellowship of the Ring, is the only adaptation of his Lord of the Rings trilogy believed to have been made in the Soviet Union.

Aired 10 years before the release of the first instalment of Peter Jacksonís movie trilogy, the low-budget film appears ripped from another age: the costumes and sets are rudimentary, the special effects are ludicrous, and many of the scenes look more like a theatre production than a feature-length film.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/soviet-tv-version-lord-of-the-rings-rediscovered-after-30-years

Here it is (for now, until the Tolkien estate issues the take-down notice, I suspect)

2 replies, 261 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Soviet TV version of Lord of the Rings rediscovered after 30 years (youtube link included) (Original post)
Ron Obvious Apr 2021 OP
eShirl Apr 2021 #1
Ron Obvious Apr 2021 #2

Response to Ron Obvious (Original post)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 03:47 PM

1. kinda trippy so far

Frodo reminds me of Rowan Atkinson
(I've paused it around 19 minutes, will finish watching it later)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to eShirl (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 04:10 PM

2. It's more interesting as a historical artefact than as a film, I think.

A lot of eastern European TV from those days are more or less filmed stage plays rather than films in their own right.

Hey, at least it has Tom Bombadil in it and all real LOTR fans know he's actually a crucial element to the story....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread