HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Dog at the vet after eati...

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:20 AM

Dog at the vet after eating pot brownie

13 replies, 624 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:24 AM

1. A few years ago my cat was looking like that.

Took her to the vet and he was asking all of the usual questions and then asked if she could have got into some meds. That's when I told him she might have got into my MJ meds. He said she'd be find, just give her some pizza.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:25 AM

2. The chocolate in that brownie could have killed him. Pot CAN be toxic at certain THC concentrations

Dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains, which means the effects of cannabis are more dramatic and potentially more toxic when compared to humans. A small amount of cannabis is all it takes to cause toxicity in cats and dogs.


Yes, studies are ongoing for appropriate use as a medicinal in dogs, as in humans, but there are a lot of issues to be addressed.

So, while amusing at first, I hope those who use, themselves take this seriously.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:28 AM

4. Yes and that is why it is good he is at the vet. Notice they have taken blood

I'm sure they have monitored them but you are right about the chocolate. It's very dangerous to keep around dogs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:28 AM

5. He's on an IV drip. That is vetwrap covering the IV catheter.

While they likely drew blood for electrolytes, as in people, urine is typically used to test for THC. IV fluids, inducing vomiting, and activated charcoal to reduce absorption would have been recommended. Fluid therapy is very important.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:26 AM

3. Oh lort

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:41 AM

6. Dogs shouldn't be eating brownies of any kind.

The chocolate was at least as dangerous as the pot.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:41 AM

7. id be more worried about the chocolate..

...but pot isnt good for dogs either.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:59 AM

8. Poor doggie

I hope heís ok after both the chocolate and the pot, and super glad he is getting medical care.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:14 PM

9. One chilled looking doggie

Obviously not the best food for the pup but it looks like he will be just fine.

Zeus Dog in his younger years consumed an entire 16 oz bag of milk chocolate easter eggs - complete with all the foil. Other than a really bad case of sparkly diarrhea (the foil) he was fine. If they had been the expensive dark chocolate eggs it might have been a different story. After talking with the vet, I monitored him for 24 hours or so and made very sure I let him outside the second he asked to go out. Alternative was a very expensive emergency vet visit (weekend of course) complete with stomach pumping, etc. If Zeus had shown ANY indication he was unwell, we would have immediately gone to the vetís office. But since the candy was an inexpensive brand milk chocolate, the amount of the toxic chocolate nasty stuff was much lower. Zeus still begs for chocolate. Oh letís be honest. Zeus is a black lab - begging for food seems to be a natural behavior. Complete with drool. 🥴.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:35 PM

10. When I was young and crazy & on acid, I thought my dog had died.

We'd been smoking pot in addition to dropping and all of us had an adult beverage as well. I looked in the living room and Otto (std. schnauzer) was on his side with his tongue hanging out and looking very stiff. I called him and he wouldn't even move. As I said, I was on some strong stuff and for some reason just assumed he'd died. I was crying, so upset, but too stoned to think of doing anything productive to help. I just cried. Finally awhile later, I figured out he'd drank one of the adult beverages plus ate the roaches and was stoned out of his mind. I was just so glad he hadn't gotten any of the acid and was alive, I cried more out of gladness this time. He recovered fine, he was used to eating the roaches but the addition of a full glass of tequila sunrise laid him out for awhile. After that we knew never to leave drinks on the coffee table and Otto lived to be an old gentleman.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to lark (Reply #10)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 04:11 PM

12. That is like a scene from a comedy. Except animal rights groups would freak.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Reply #12)

Wed Apr 14, 2021, 10:02 AM

13. Yeah, I was all of 18.

When you are that stoned, it's easy to forget about keeping the adult beverages off the coffee table where the dog could get them - doh. Let me assure you this never happened again. I never drank when dropping after that if there was a pet around. Eating a couple of roaches never harmed Otto, (they weren't the quality of today's pot) it was just the tequila sunrises that made him pass out - poor baby.

Luckily we all survived and learned a big lesson.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:37 PM

11. Poor baby!

I am glad he is getting the care he needs. I hope his owners didn't do this on purpose. If they did, they aren't fit to be dog parents and he should be re-homed. They could have killed him. At best, they were very careless.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread