Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search
35 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Caught these two fur balls (Original Post) MontanaMama Sep 2022 OP
Whoa, those are big fur babies. Polly Hennessey Sep 2022 #1
Yes they are. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #2
ohhh myyyyy niyad Sep 2022 #3
Yep... 2naSalit Sep 2022 #4
No it isn't. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #7
Maybe fladry? 2naSalit Sep 2022 #10
It's just a busy time of year for these guys. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #22
Oh! 2naSalit Sep 2022 #25
It's a HUGE tree. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #30
Mmm... 2naSalit Sep 2022 #32
It is luscious. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #33
Been reading about all the bears in town there... cilla4progress Sep 2022 #5
A little of both! MontanaMama Sep 2022 #8
Starting late September to October the bears are on a food prowl to beef up before Baitball Blogger Sep 2022 #6
Yep. They're very active right now. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #9
Woah! cilla4progress Sep 2022 #12
Big black bear. BIG. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #14
Fortunately she lived to tell! calimary Sep 2022 #16
One looks like a Grizzly or Emile Sep 2022 #11
Both black bears...but BIG bears. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #15
We have bears that... 2naSalit Sep 2022 #26
I guess they're out stocking up on the 'bear necessities'. iscooterliberally Sep 2022 #13
eep. but no yougy and or booboo. dont mess with these guys. AllaN01Bear Sep 2022 #17
Great photos! Grumpy Old Guy Sep 2022 #18
Doesn't matter... 2naSalit Sep 2022 #27
To quote Chief Wiggum . . . ET Awful Sep 2022 #19
😳 Demovictory9 Sep 2022 #20
Whoa, they have been packing in the calories for winter! Laffy Kat Sep 2022 #21
For sure! MontanaMama Sep 2022 #23
Wow, and all I get around my neighborhood are a few raccoons and a stray possum or two. catbyte Sep 2022 #24
TY! Montanamama (very cool!!) bluestarone Sep 2022 #28
I guess that keeps the kids off the streets at night! snot Sep 2022 #29
I know I pay serious attention going out after dark. MontanaMama Sep 2022 #31
You need a cat I_UndergroundPanther Sep 2022 #34
Wish I could have one... MontanaMama Sep 2022 #35

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
7. No it isn't.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 11:21 AM
Sep 2022

I live in the city limits but just barely. I do have electric fence on my chicken coop because that’s allowed. One of these two pushed through a double chain link fence to get to our apple tree…it left a typical calling card the size of a dinner plate on the back lawn. I don’t dare let the dogs out at night this time of year without doing a sweep to make sure we don’t have a visitor.

2naSalit

(89,011 posts)
10. Maybe fladry?
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 11:32 AM
Sep 2022

At least for a couple weeks? (Strips of fabric that flap in the breeze... works on wolves for a little while.)

Or...

Maybe tie some construction tape to a few low branches of the trees so they can move freely with air flow. The motion alarms the animals and they will move away from it rather than advance, at least for a time. I used it in the valley a few years back on that grow I managed. After seeds were planted, we needed to keep the birds out of the fields so I took rebar posts and tied a few feet of the plastic construction tape to them and it worked while the seeds were germinating. Then it kept the deer out for a while. Then I took it down.

Depends on how long it takes to gather the fruit. Once that is done, I guess the gig is up for them?

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
22. It's just a busy time of year for these guys.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 02:41 PM
Sep 2022

Every year during August-November. This year in particular the berry crop was bad. A cold wet spring followed by too much heat. Most people in the neighborhood do their part to remove attractants but the fruit trees are what they are. We had a bear last week in our plumb tree in the front yard shaking it for all it was worth then sitting on the grass leisurely eating the plumbs. I think I want to take that tree out and plant something like a river birch. The apple tree in the back yard is massive and decades old. I don't want to take it out because it provides shade for chickens and dogs...and it is gorgeous. It's a MacIntosh so the fruit doesn't ripen till after the first frost. We'll pick all we can reach and then I hire a guy who brings ladders etc to pick the fruit higher up and he takes it to Western Cider for them to use in their Great Bear blend. Other than that, the bears come and go.

2naSalit

(89,011 posts)
25. Oh!
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 06:02 PM
Sep 2022

MacIntosh!

The only apple worth eating, unless you have Cortlands for baking! The true New Englander in me causes this. How cool that you have an heirloom tree like that!

Yeah, you have to wait for the frost. If the bears aren't bothering anything else and it's real brief, you kind of have to just hang back and watch out.

Cool that your excess goes into a good cider! They make the BEST pie and applesauce too, no question about it. I like them thinly sliced for desert.

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
30. It's a HUGE tree.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 10:14 PM
Sep 2022

I hire an arborist to come every couple years to prune it…he tells me I either have to prune for fruit or prune for beauty. I pay hime to prune for both. I’ve lived in this house 27 years and the tree was old when I bought the place. Western Cider makes a killer Macintosh cider. I wonder if it’s available on your side of the divide? If not I would sure ship some to you…

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
33. It is luscious.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 10:44 PM
Sep 2022

They also make a whisky peach and apple that is insane. I never used to like cider…but their stuff is magic. You know where to find me…

cilla4progress

(25,179 posts)
5. Been reading about all the bears in town there...
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 11:16 AM
Sep 2022

or has town moved into their homes (not you, I know..).

Lucky to catch them! Big uns!

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
8. A little of both!
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 11:24 AM
Sep 2022

They’re really hungry…the berry crop wasn’t great so they’re in town getting what’s available. MT Fish, Wildlife & Parks estimates there are around 50 individual bears in our neighborhood at the moment. They spend days in trees near the creek and feast on apples, plums etc in yards at night.

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
9. Yep. They're very active right now.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 11:26 AM
Sep 2022

A neighbor around the corner from us came home from work to find one in her kitchen with his head in her fridge! They’re quite intelligent and pretty much go where they want.

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
14. Big black bear. BIG.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 12:07 PM
Sep 2022

Fish & Game have euthanized two bears in our neighbor for repeatedly breaking into homes. I hate that part of it. One bear was caught in one home 4 times! Lock your doors for Pete’s sake!

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
15. Both black bears...but BIG bears.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 12:09 PM
Sep 2022

I live one mile from the wilderness boundary and grizzlies are common up there. No reason to think that the grizzlies respect that boundary…I just haven’t caught one on camera. Yet.

2naSalit

(89,011 posts)
26. We have bears that...
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 06:10 PM
Sep 2022

Are the black bear species but their fur isn't black. A good 40% of black bears, in Montana at least, are such and are called "cinnamon" bears because they are reddish. Still big, still just as dangerous.

Right now during hyperphagia everything that has calories is food for them and they can get pretty aggressive about it. They are the most dangerous at this time of year, and when they get up in spring. One issue is that many are not going into hibernation during winter because winters are not the same anymore.

Grumpy Old Guy

(3,335 posts)
18. Great photos!
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 01:38 PM
Sep 2022

I once had a black bear climb in my RV. It was quite an adventure. It knew how to work the door latch on my trailer.

Good luck with them. I'm glad they're black bears and not grizzlies.

2naSalit

(89,011 posts)
27. Doesn't matter...
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 06:14 PM
Sep 2022

Both are equally as dangerous. It's a myth that black bears are any less lethal than grizzlies. A black bear is more likely to eat you for food than a griz.

A bear is a bear. If a gator was coming after you, would you care, at that moment when you realize you need to avoid death, that it's actually a crocodile?

ET Awful

(24,760 posts)
19. To quote Chief Wiggum . . .
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 01:45 PM
Sep 2022

Book 'em Lou - One count of being a bear . . . .and one count of accessory to being a bear.

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
23. For sure!
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 02:43 PM
Sep 2022

Funny thing about the photos on the trail cam...in each instance, there was a person either in front of the bear or behind it by only about 5-10 minutes! The camera picks up people, bears, deer, raccoons...anything that moves.

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
31. I know I pay serious attention going out after dark.
Mon Sep 26, 2022, 10:15 PM
Sep 2022

They’re pretty skittish…when I do see them, they typically turn tail and run. They just want apples and plums in the yard.

MontanaMama

(23,568 posts)
35. Wish I could have one...
Tue Sep 27, 2022, 10:32 AM
Sep 2022

But I’ve got a parrot and have lived through that particular tragedy in the past.

However, speaking of cats and bears…a neighbor of ours has a small bear visit her patio almost every afternoon. Her cat sits out there and suns himself and pays no mind to the bear and the same goes for the bear. Another neighbor who recently came home from work to find a bear with his head in her fridge posted a photo of her cat watching the bear from the kitchen counter also seemingly unconcerned about the bear in the house.

Latest Discussions»The DU Lounge»Caught these two fur ball...