Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Stuart G

(38,672 posts)
Sun Dec 17, 2023, 11:53 PM Dec 2023

"Left vs Right" ...Do You Know Where Those Terms Came From....Here is where those terms originated..

It was during the French Revolution...(I seem to remember)............................................

Those that supported the king.....were on the right side of the hall where the meeting was held....
Those that supported the revolution..(and wanted complete change)............were on the left side.
That is what I remembered from some class lesson at someplace and at somewhere..,,,,,,,,,

(I don't remember...because....I am mature)...that's why. ........

4 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
"Left vs Right" ...Do You Know Where Those Terms Came From....Here is where those terms originated.. (Original Post) Stuart G Dec 2023 OP
Thanks - Learned something!! walkingman Dec 2023 #1
I've always thought it's because that's where they sit in Congress. Jeebo Dec 2023 #2
From the Speaker's chair? Frasier Balzov Dec 2023 #3
Thanks! XanaDUer2 Dec 2023 #4

Jeebo

(2,104 posts)
2. I've always thought it's because that's where they sit in Congress.
Mon Dec 18, 2023, 12:35 AM
Dec 2023

In Congress don't the Republicans sit on the right side and the Democrats on the left?

-- Ron

Latest Discussions»The DU Lounge»"Left vs Right" ...Do You...