HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » One of my cats is extreme...

Wed Oct 7, 2015, 05:12 PM

One of my cats is extremely unhappy and there's nothing I can do about it.

Rat Face, our five-year-old tuxy, is beleaguered by four of our other cats. She stays in the office all the time, afraid to go anywhere but the basement, where the litter boxes are.

I am probably anthropomorphizing her, but I can't help it. So here goes: she lives in a constant state of fear and anxiety. It's impossible for her to relax. I think she must be very, very sad.

I spend as much time as possible with her. She has learned to come out and sit with me when I'm on the computer in the dining room, but she'll only stay out here when I'm here. Mrs. V. holds her in her lap at least part of each day when she's working, but she hasn't been able to work for almost two months, so Rat Face is more lonesome than ever. Spending time with her is the only thing I can do for her.

Her misery is my fault. My inability to say no has blessed (?) us with ten cats. My only other option for improving her life involves making her an only cat, and I can't do that.

Got questions? Got ideas? Thanks.

PS Feliway doesn't work.

9 replies, 1991 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply One of my cats is extremely unhappy and there's nothing I can do about it. (Original post)
Bertha Venation Oct 2015 OP
grasswire Oct 2015 #1
grasswire Oct 2015 #2
lunatica Oct 2015 #3
mackerel Oct 2015 #4
UTUSN Oct 2015 #5
Bertha Venation Oct 2015 #9
Ino Oct 2015 #6
justiceischeap Oct 2015 #7
restorefreedom Oct 2015 #8

Response to Bertha Venation (Original post)

Wed Oct 7, 2015, 05:36 PM

1. FELIWAY

Feliway is the spray that mimics a feline hormone that soothes kittens and cats. It is recommended by vets and pet owners for helping relationships in a multi-cat home.

Please go get some. It comes in a spray bottle or in a plug-in.

Poor kitty.

Oops. Just saw your note on Feliway. There are other products as well. Or maybe you need to give this cat away to someone with no cats.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 7, 2015, 05:38 PM

2. call Jackson Galaxy.

Sounds like a good project for him.

She's a beautiful cat and I would take her in a heartbeat although I am expecting the arrival of a little orange bundle of fur shortly.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 7, 2015, 05:46 PM

3. Bach Flower Remedies are very good for the emotions

And they work very well on animals. Get her the Rescue Remedy, either as a spray or as drops. You can insert the dropper between her cheek and her teeth and just give her a drop or two. You can't overdose but you can water it down if you like. It has a bit of alcohol which won't hurt her. It's very calming for animals. I used to use it on days like July 4 and halloween when the world is full of strange noises.

It also works on humans. You can get it in any health store. all natural essences. No additives or colors.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ntk=products&Ntt=rescue%20remedy&refcd=GO000000517938186-dcs_rescue_remedy&tsacr=88468000331&keyword_test&csrc=PPCADW-rescue+remedy&mtp=sHvePY81n-dc|pcrid|88468000331|mt|e&gclid=CMuT4dOpscgCFZNbfgodDIEP0A

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 8, 2015, 01:32 AM

4. Love that stuff! Keep one in my drawer at work and in my purse.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 10:10 PM

5. I love you, that cat, and everybody. Come here. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 13, 2015, 08:25 AM

9. hey

thank you so much.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2015, 12:00 AM

6. That's a tough one.

I've had two kitties like that. One became very stressed by the other cats, and was relieved when I relegated her to the office. Much calmer, purring, used the litter box instead of soiling everywhere. I did spend a lot of time in there working.

I have 3 cats now. One needs to be kept from the other two, as one of those two will bully her mercilessly. One day, she gets the bedroom while the other two can roam the house. The next day, they switch territories. They all switch willingly, and seem to enjoy re-entering whatever space was "forbidden" to them the day before!

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 12, 2015, 08:06 AM

7. I had a cat once that had to be put on valium

however, after reading the thread where you need help, I don't know if this is a viable option for you.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 12, 2015, 09:24 AM

8. good ideas so far

bach flower essences, feliway.

check out jackson galaxy's site for more info

one thing that can help is to have plenty of toys and playtime for the others, so they will be less likely to be interested in rat face. also, try and enrich rat faces environment as much as possible with toys and climbers/posts. this might give her confidence. also having her own place to hide amd get away from it all, a special box or cube

dedicated play time with her will help,with bonding and might boost her confidence

might be worth checking with a local rescue group. sometimes they have people who have dealt with these issues. CAUTION ..i would not tell them how many cats you have in case there's any kind of local ordinance against it. You never know with people. I would just say I have a couple of cats that don't get along.

and see if there are some we sites/groups dealing with cat behavior.

good luck

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread