HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Have You Ever Gotten Obse...

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 03:30 PM

Have You Ever Gotten Obsessed with Something and how do you stop?

Okay here is the deal ever since I was little kid I have been prone to getting obsessed with things like celebrities, politics etc. Not in creepy stalkerish way or anything lol but just I spend too much time thinking about it and it effects my mood.

I am getting mental health treatment for long standing illness but no ones giving me any practical advice on how to stop this particular behavior though I have brought it up.

Lately it's been talking about a TV show on Twitter. I know stupid right? But since I am disabled with Depression and really hate to drive it's been socialization for me.

But lately they haven't been featuring my favorite characters enough, people start spreading rumors etc, you know how it goes, and I spend most of my day getting upset. I know it's dumb. I have tried going cold turkey but I always go back. It's crazy and I know it but how do I stop?

28 replies, 1862 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have You Ever Gotten Obsessed with Something and how do you stop? (Original post)
Liberalynn Oct 2016 OP
Tobin S. Oct 2016 #1
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #3
Stuart G Oct 2016 #2
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #4
NightWatcher Oct 2016 #5
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #6
TexasBushwhacker Oct 2016 #9
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #12
mythology Oct 2016 #7
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #8
AngryAmish Oct 2016 #10
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #13
NJCher Oct 2016 #16
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #20
Fla Dem Oct 2016 #11
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #14
underahedgerow Oct 2016 #15
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #18
Blue_Tires Oct 2016 #17
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #19
Iggo Oct 2016 #21
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #25
Marthe48 Oct 2016 #22
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #26
FSogol Oct 2016 #23
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #27
NNadir Oct 2016 #24
Liberalynn Oct 2016 #28

Response to Liberalynn (Original post)

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 03:53 PM

1. A shortcut might be an anti-anxiety med.

Do you go to talk therapy? I think that's the long term solution.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tobin S. (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 04:42 PM

3. I am on meds and

do talk therapy. Was doing better till I got viral meningitis last year. It seems as if everything I thought was under control until then came back. They've tried adjusting but so far no luck.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 04:16 PM

2. A simple easy way to reduce obsession is to do some deep breathing.

Focus on one peaceful idea......like the setting or raising sun over a lake or sea.

Breath in through your nose for a count of say 3 or 4...
Hold it for a count of 3 or 4......
Release the breath through your mouth...slowly..... for a count of 4 or 5...

you can alter these times if uncomfortable....if you feel..very... uncomfortable..stop and just breath normally .

repeat for five minutes... then go about your business........

The deep breathing/meditation calms a person down...naturally...easily..

now...lets say this begins to work after a while..........give this a try for a reasonable time..you decide)

Then, gradually increase....(you decide how gradual..up to you)........to twice a day..for fifteen minutes...or just once a day........(whatever you feel best with)..doesn't cost anything, simple, works and is not new....
Actually, this idea is thousands of years old,,,and does indeed work and calm a person down....I think most meditators do indeed focus on one peaceful idea..

Much has been written about this....just google ...meditation ...you can get numerous ideas and variations..
also...it is not new, does work...is free and easy...(no..not my idea)...and has been proven to lesson anxiety and obsession...

.but since it is so easy.....and not medicine ...lots of people think it will not work...but it does..
(and if it does not work, it is worth a try for a week or two or three...most people say it takes a while ..to gradually increase the time.., and if this feels uncomfortable..just stop.. for some people it does not work with..that is ok too...I read a book about this many years ago..and it worked some for me....book is available in the library........"The Relaxation Response "...don't remember who wrote it..........

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 04:43 PM

4. Thank You.

I will definitely try this and look for the book.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 04:57 PM

5. Get a new, maybe less intense, obsession. When I was real sick and stuck at home a few years ago

I started watching baseball way more than I ever did. I watched the MLB network several hours a day, reading stats, researching minor leaguers, and other pretty intense baseball stuff. I tweeted and conversed online with other fans.

It gave my mind something to do and it was pretty healthy. As I got better and was able to do more I just gradually dialed back the intensity. I still love the game and watch maybe 75% of my team's games, but it filled a time when I needed it.

Reply to this post

Response to NightWatcher (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 05:21 PM

6. That's something I could try

I really have always wanted to learn more about the cosmos but I stink at math so I hesitate to take a course but maybe I could find some lay person's guide.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberalynn (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 08:56 PM

9. There are lots of free courses online

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #9)

Thu Oct 6, 2016, 04:25 PM

12. Thank You

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 06:12 PM

7. Have you tried meditation?

For me Qi Gong has been pretty helpful at letting me clear my mind. I don't know what illness you are dealing with, but there is a series that can be done in bed. At this point I am pretty good at using a variation of one of the poses if I need to quickly compose or focus myself.

Reply to this post

Response to mythology (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 08:31 PM

8. I haven't but I am going to look into it.

I have chronic depression and anxiety that has been persistent despite many years of treatment. I can't get work because of it and because I am always afraid of getting in a car accident I seldom drive. My sister just offered to maybe pay for a one of those home assistant sevices so maybe I could get out of the house more and take something like a meditation class.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2016, 09:00 PM

10. I get obsessed but have trained myself to do it with skills.

Get obsessed with cooking. I did. Now I am an expert cook.

I got obsessed with golf course architecture and turf manager. Still am. I am on the greens committee of my course and will be the chairman in a few years.

Stop giving a shit about celebrities and politics. That is for losers.

Maybe check out the rationalist /LessWrong crows. At least that will give you a working model of reality and human behavior.

Reply to this post

Response to AngryAmish (Reply #10)

Thu Oct 6, 2016, 04:27 PM

13. That's great about the cooking and golf courses.

Reply to this post

Response to AngryAmish (Reply #10)

Thu Oct 6, 2016, 10:03 PM

16. I like this answer

'cuz it produces something positive and good for everyone.

Cher

Reply to this post

Response to NJCher (Reply #16)

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 03:18 PM

20. +1

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 6, 2016, 11:06 AM

11. Start with something somple that will take your mind off your obsessions.

Have your sister buy a couple of 500 - 1000 piece puzzles. So whenever you have the urge to go on twitter or some web site, sit down at the puzzle. Once you start one, work on it a couple of hours a day. While you're doing it, think of things other than politics and celebrities.

I can see becoming interested in politics, especially during an election cycle, after all politics have a definite impact on our lives. Celebrities, not so much. They come and go. Appreciate them for their talents but don't let them rule your life.

I'm just the opposite of you, at some point I just get bored with whatever my latest interest was, so always looking for something new to get involved with.

All the best to you.

Reply to this post

Response to Fla Dem (Reply #11)

Thu Oct 6, 2016, 04:30 PM

14. Thank You!

The puzzle sounds like a great idea. The interest in politics has been life long even before I could vote but I definitely need to vary my interests.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 6, 2016, 09:10 PM

15. Klonopin works great.

It stops the rat wheel in your head. Egads, I just posted this same thing on another thread about stress.

But it's true. Occasional use just slows that wheel in your head down and allows you to replace those thoughts with regular life patterns.

You may also be terribly bored and need external stimulation.

Reply to this post

Response to underahedgerow (Reply #15)

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 03:17 PM

18. I will talk to my doctor.

Boredom is definitely a factor

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 7, 2016, 02:47 PM

17. When you find out the answer, please tell me...

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #17)

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 03:17 PM

19. Ok

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 03:49 PM

21. Yep.

Put it down and don't pick it up again.

Ever.

No matter what.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggo (Reply #21)

Fri Oct 21, 2016, 11:43 AM

25. Thank You.

It's going to have to come down to that

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 04:34 PM

22. At least you realize that you are too focused

That's always a good start. I have collected antiques for years. Learning about old things is never-ending and to me, very satisfying. Another hobby is geology, again, never-ending. My husband and I collect rocks and other natural objects, but my hobby goes way beyond our collection. Both subjects are all over the Internet.
And I love reading mysteries, but I tend to read those from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. Great way to learn more about my parents' generations, evolving social behavior and other things. Mysteries have been popular for generations, so again, you have an endless choice. The old mysteries aren't as gruesome as the current ones. If I find a good series, such as Leonidas Witherall by Alice Tilton, I'll read every one of them If you'd rather listen, you can go to www.otr.org and listen to old radio shows. I did that when I worked from home and it was a great experience.
Hope things get better for you after the election!

Reply to this post

Response to Marthe48 (Reply #22)

Fri Oct 21, 2016, 11:45 AM

26. Thank You.

I do love mystery books. I need to get back to reading.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 04:51 PM

23. Me? If I am stressed or spending to much time on something, I either

go to nature or go visit an art gallery.

For nature, I take long walks in the woods, go to a local pond and watch the turtles and birds, or go spend a few days in Shenandoah NP.

For art, I go visit some local galleries, check out graffiti or visit the East Wing Gallery downtown.

Either activity will put my mind in the right place and remove a lot of stress. Find an activity you like that doesn't involve a screen or phone and enjoy.

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #23)

Fri Oct 21, 2016, 11:48 AM

27. Thank You.

It is beautiful here now with the fall colors

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 8, 2016, 06:13 PM

24. I often get obsessed with elements in the periodic table...

...always intrigued by plutonium and more recently neptunium; had a thorium phase, fluorine is a wonderful element, and in recent years I've made good friends with tungsten, and have always loved cesium, since I was a child.

Carbon was my closest working partner, along with hydrogen, played a lot with oxygen and chlorine.

Technetium is very cool; and I'm fond of cerium, and of course there's always titanium, a wonderful element.

My son complains that whenever he mentions an element in the periodic table, no matter what it is, I start going on and on about why that element is very, very cool.

The biggest obsession of my life though, by far, has been my wife, from the first day I spoke with her, going through several decades.

I can't see any reason to stop any of these obsessions and would never dream of trying to do so, especially the last one, my wife, who for me is the most beautiful person in the world, past, present, and for whatever future we have left.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 21, 2016, 11:49 AM

28. That's really sweet about your wife.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread