HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Classical Music (Group) » Antonio Salieri's Revenge

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 09:43 AM

Antonio Salieri's Revenge

As someone that enjoyed the film Amadeus, I found this New Yorker article on Mozartís film nemesis rather enlightening.

Antonio Salieriís Revenge

Excerpt: Two centuries of calumny have created sympathy for the musical devil: I found Salieriís grave festooned with bouquets. These were evidence that the man and his music are enjoying a modest comeback. Of his forty-odd operas, more than a dozen have been revived, and artists such as Riccardo Muti, Cecilia Bartoli, and Christophe Rousset have pleaded his case. I was in Vienna to attend Roussetís performance of Salieriís French opera ďTarareĒ at the Theater an der Wien. A German-language biography of Salieri, by the composer and musicologist Timo Jouko Herrmann, was published earlier this year. In 2015, Herrmann discovered the score of a cantata, ďPer la ricuperata salute di Ofelia,Ē with one section composed by Salieri and another by Mozart. The find made clear what scholars have long known: that the two were more colleagues than rivals, and that their relationship was complicated mainly by Mozartís tendency to see plots arrayed against him.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/03/antonio-salieris-revenge

4 replies, 519 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Antonio Salieri's Revenge (Original post)
RedParrot Jun 2019 OP
JoeOtterbein Jun 2019 #1
The Velveteen Ocelot Jun 2019 #2
Aristus Jun 2019 #3
bif Jun 2019 #4

Response to RedParrot (Original post)

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 10:18 AM

1. Great article! Thanks for posting! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 10:49 AM

2. Very interesting! Thanks!

I knew Salieri didn't kill Mozart and that they weren't even enemies, but I loved Amadeus anyhow. This is a really interesting article about a composer who should be given more credit.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 01:38 PM

3. I own a number of CD's of Salieri's music.

He wrote themes that both Mozart and Beethoven were not shy about borrowing and adapting into their own works. He was a pretty good composer.

I once asked former Seattle Opera General Director Speight Jenkins if he thought there would ever be a revival of Salieri's numerous operas. Jenkins said no.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because they're boring!"

I guess Jenkins was wrong about the revival.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 11:52 AM

4. It was an excellent article. As you'd expect from the New Yorker.

I've been getting it since high school. And I'm in my early 60s now. The finest magazine in the English speaking world.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread