HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Music Appreciation (Group) » Groove in G, a global jam

Sat Nov 10, 2018, 03:20 PM

Groove in G, a global jam

We started this track in West Africa with a musical group named Tinariwen, Grammy Award-winning group from Mali. We asked them to play a groove in the key of G, then as we traveled the world we added more musicians to the song. Over the course of our travels, it transformed into a global jam with its roots in the blues.

|

2 replies, 304 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Groove in G, a global jam (Original post)
Kind of Blue Nov 2018 OP
erronis Nov 2018 #1
Kind of Blue Nov 2018 #2

Response to Kind of Blue (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2018, 04:07 PM

1. Very cool! How does this work with mixes of western and non-western chords/melodies.

Sounds great to me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to erronis (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2018, 04:37 PM

2. I'm so glad you like it!

My sister is a musician/composer. I remember while at university she told me that a lot of non-western music is based in rhythm while western music is based in harmony. And so, I think that's why it works.

The exception to the rule to me is Irish music that I've always been drawn to. Then my husband and I found out about The Afro Celt Sound System a few years ago why this feeling made sense. Haven't checked the history of the collaboration of Celtic and West African began and has grown but there's no doubt to me there is a connection perhaps deep in the past.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread