HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arizona (Group) » Pottery shards unearthed ...

Tue Jun 2, 2020, 12:04 AM

Pottery shards unearthed downtown hint at distant presidio trading partners

If one manís trash is another manís treasure, some local researchers have unearthed a gold mine in downtown Tucson.

Artifacts sifted from more-than-200-year-old waste pits are shedding new light on the daily life and regional trading practices at Tucsonís original presidio.

The latest revelation: broken pieces of Zuni Indian pottery, possibly carried back to the presidio by Spanish soldiers after a long military expedition through present-day New Mexico in 1795.

ďItís just a reminder of how connected everybody was,Ē said Barbara Mills, a regents professor of anthropology at the University of Arizona. ďItís a reminder of how connected the world was then.Ē

The pottery pieces were found during a dig early last year on the west side of the historic Pima County Courthouse.

The work by Tucson-based Desert Archaeology uncovered parts of the foundations for the 1868 Pima County Courthouse, the 1880s City Hall and Jail and, in a surprise discovery, the abandoned cesspool for the 1881 county courthouse.

https://tucson.com/news/local/pottery-shards-unearthed-downtown-hint-at-distant-presidio-trading-partners/article_d70c8021-12e5-5fb1-8eeb-8078838bde43.html

4 replies, 916 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pottery shards unearthed downtown hint at distant presidio trading partners (Original post)
Ptah Jun 2020 OP
MLAA Jun 2020 #1
brush Jun 2020 #3
MLAA Jun 2020 #4
iemitsu Jun 2020 #2

Response to Ptah (Original post)

Tue Jun 2, 2020, 12:11 AM

1. Cool!

Iím a Tucsonan and I had not heard this before 🙂

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MLAA (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 2, 2020, 12:38 AM

3. I have roots there too. The courthouse dome has to be the coolest ever.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 2, 2020, 01:40 AM

4. The whole building and courtyard area are really beautiful

Only good thing about jury duty 🙂

Reply to this post

Response to Ptah (Original post)

Tue Jun 2, 2020, 12:19 AM

2. Exciting.

Reply to this post