HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » California could create i...

Wed Jul 29, 2020, 04:29 AM

California could create its own $600 weekly unemployment benefit

SACRAMENTO — As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to damage the California economy, state lawmakers are weighing whether to provide a supplemental unemployment benefit with the extra $600 per week provided by the federal government expiring this month.

Assemblyman Phil Ting (D-San Francisco), the leader of a legislative working group, said there is support among Democratic lawmakers for providing up to $600 weekly to jobless Californians if Congress fails to act on extending the federal pandemic benefit.

“There are so many people who are relying on that money to pay rent, to buy food. I think the state has to do everything possible to help them pay their bills,” said Ting, chairman of the Assembly Budget Committee.

With the end of the federal supplement on July 25, state unemployment checks will go back to the weekly average of $340 unless the state or federal government restore supplemental benefits.

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-28/california-coronavirus-unemployment-benefit-congress

4 replies, 490 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply California could create its own $600 weekly unemployment benefit (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jul 2020 OP
jorgevlorgan Jul 2020 #1
stopbush Jul 2020 #2
MichMan Jul 2020 #3
stopbush Jul 2020 #4

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Jul 29, 2020, 04:40 AM

1. I've been waiting for this to happen.

Trusting the GOP to do the right thing is like trusting CBP to not violate your constitutional rights at a protest.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 29, 2020, 06:11 AM

2. About time. At $450 a week, CA has one of the lower maximum weekly UI benefits

in the nation, especially when you factor in the CoL.

My family would certainly benefit. We’re sweating bullets here over the Senate dicking around with this.

That said, the article seems to be saying that CA would raise it’s max weekly rate, not add $600 on top of what the state is currently paying. The difference between $600 and $450+$600 is a big difference.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 29, 2020, 07:26 AM

3. All states need to step it up

People find themselves unemployed all the time, not just now in this pandemic.

This is the very first time that there has been any federal supplement. Next year, when people are unemployed due to downsizing etc., there will be no federal extra $$ added on.

In the 2009 recession, with rapid job loss, while the length of time one could draw benefits was extended, the amounts never were. I like many others received less than 25% of my normal income for an entire year. The same max benefit in my state, of $362 in 2009, is still unchanged 11 years later.

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 29, 2020, 12:07 PM

4. I can thank periods of unemployment and ageism for burning through our savings

here in CA over the past 15 years. That low UI benefit doesn’t do much when rent alone is $36,000 a year.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread