HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » California coronavirus va...

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:17 PM

California coronavirus variants 20% more infectious, resistant to antibodies, new study finds

San Francisco Chronicle / 4-21-21

Two California-bred coronavirus variants are about 20% more infectious than the original virus, according to a study published Tuesday by researchers at UCSF, UC Berkeley and the California Department of Public Health.

The study results, published in the journal Cell, support previously released research out of UCSF and the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub that had not yet been vetted by peer review.

The California variants, known as B.1.427 and B.1.429, are described as one strain in the paper because they are very similar and share at least one key mutation. They are spreading widely across the state and appear to be more transmissible and less susceptible to antibodies produced by previous infection with the virus or by the vaccine, researchers said.

The variants became the dominant source of infection in the state as of Jan. 31.

Link (probable paywall): https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/California-coronavirus-variants-20-more-16118803.php

According to the article, researchers said the variants emerged in California in May of 2020. Between September and January coronavirus cases caused by these variants increased from zero to more than 50%, suggesting increased transmissability compared to the original coronavirus. The variants have recently been designated “variants of concern” by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

7 replies, 746 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply California coronavirus variants 20% more infectious, resistant to antibodies, new study finds (Original post)
Auggie Apr 21 OP
RockRaven Apr 21 #1
bahboo Apr 21 #2
Lovie777 Apr 21 #3
mucifer Apr 21 #4
FirstLight Apr 21 #5
Auggie Apr 21 #7
MoonchildCA Apr 21 #6

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:22 PM

1. Well, fuck.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:26 PM

2. and yet our cases and deaths are going down...

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:33 PM

3. Same for Texas . . .

I would assume it's in all 50 states.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:52 PM

4. So far the vaccine seems to be helping

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:52 PM

5. darn paywall

Reply to this post

Response to FirstLight (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 07:33 PM

7. Yeah ...

I did my best to post the most significant parts of the article.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 21, 2021, 07:03 PM

6. Not good news.

Still waiting on my second dose, but something tells me a 3rd booster will be in the foreseeable future. Darn...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread