HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » California: State Democra...

Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:27 AM

California: State Democrats Call For Legalizing Marijuana For Adults

Los Angeles, CA: California Democrats have approved a plank in the party's platform calling for the legalization of marijuana.

State party delegates at the Democrats' three-day convention in Los Angeles gave near unanimous approval to language calling on the party to "support the legalization, regulation, and taxation of marijuana in a manner similar to that of tobacco or alcohol."

The party's adoption of the pro-legalization plank is at odds with statements made recently by Democrat Gov. Jerry Brown, who expressed reservations about regulating the adult use and sale of the plant. "If there's advertising and legitimacy, how many people can get stoned and still have a great state or a great nation?" Brown said on NBC's Meet the Press. ‘The world's pretty dangerous, very competitive. I think we need to stay alert, if not 24 hours a day, more than some of the potheads might be able to put together."

According to an October 2013 Tulchin Research poll, 65 percent of likely California voters - including 74 percent of Democrats - said that they would support a statewide ballot measure to legalize and regulate marijuana production and retail sales for adults.

9 replies, 1412 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply California: State Democrats Call For Legalizing Marijuana For Adults (Original post)
antiquie Mar 2014 OP
pipoman Mar 2014 #1
antiquie Mar 2014 #2
KamaAina Mar 2014 #3
antiquie Mar 2014 #4
KamaAina Mar 2014 #5
Dudeaga Apr 2014 #6
antiquie Apr 2014 #9
yuiyoshida Apr 2014 #7
antiquie Apr 2014 #8

Response to antiquie (Original post)

Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:44 AM

1. Wasn't JB known as the governor who smoked pot in the

governors mansion during the JB1 term?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pipoman (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 14, 2014, 08:55 AM

2. I don't think it was true, unfortunately.

He was personally Jesuitly conservative but the Repubs attacked with everything because he dated Linda Ronstadt.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:39 PM

3. Replace the word "stoned" with the word "hammered"

and "potheads" with "lushes". Now reread that statement and see if it makes any sense.

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:43 PM

4. Excuse me?

You have expectations of politicians being logical?

Reply to this post

Response to antiquie (Reply #4)

Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:54 PM

5. Well, he does have a (D) after his name.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 2, 2014, 10:58 PM

6. So...

Would it be reasonable to say that we could pass a bill similar to what Colorado and Washington have next election cycle? Last time it was attempted, it failed because of all those Orange County conservative pricks- but this gives me new hope.

Reply to this post

Response to Dudeaga (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 08:16 PM

9. The Democrats hold a majority in both California houses.

The OC delegation only gets frustration.
I was unaware any bill had been brought up to a vote.
Please post the specifics, thank you.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:02 AM

7. I have a friend in Colorado who tells me its

working well there. Then I have heard Diane Feinstein say its a horrible idea. She said the highways already have a problem with Drunk Driving and this would further impair drivers. They seemed to have figured it out in Colorado.. are you telling me we can't figure it out it out in California? I would bet we could.

Reply to this post

Response to yuiyoshida (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 08:14 PM

8. There will be something good on the 2016 ballot.

There is an initiative that I think would be really bad for everyone -- police associations are sponsors. That one is pretty obvious, but we need to be careful not to get tricked.
California: Medical Marijuana Regulatory Bill Places Undue Restrictions on Patients and Their Doctors

The "good one" for 2014 has been postponed to 2016. I know it would have helped us in the mid-terms, especially with young votes, so I am disappointed.
Poll: Marijuana Ballot Measures Likely To Increase Overall Voter Turnout

As for Senator Feinstein,
Study: Higher THC/Blood Levels Not Positively Associated With Greater Fatal Accident Risk

edit to add links

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread