HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Connecticut (Group) » Connecticut passes bill e...

Sat Apr 30, 2022, 09:41 AM

Connecticut passes bill expanding abortion related protections. Gov pledges to sign it

With a major U.S. Supreme Court ruling months away, the state Senate debated emotionally Friday night before approving a key abortion bill that would be the most far-reaching in Connecticut in the past 32 years.

The bipartisan bill would increase the number of medical professionals allowed to perform abortions in Connecticut and expand abortion-related protections regarding lawsuits.

After three hours of debate, the Senate voted 25-9 with two Republicans absent shortly before midnight.

The often-emotional, personal and passionate debate included opposition by some members of the legislature’s Black and Puerto Rican Caucus, who said they were inspired by a freshman legislator, Rep. Trenee McGee of West Haven, who spoke passionately recently before voting against the bill.

The state House of Representatives had voted 87-60 recently for the measure, and Gov. Ned Lamont has pledged to sign it into law.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/connecticut-senate-passes-abortion-bill-after-emotional-debate-gov-lamont-pledges-signature/ar-AAWLwKp

Hat Tip to Demovictory9

4 replies, 621 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Connecticut passes bill expanding abortion related protections. Gov pledges to sign it (Original post)
NutmegYankee Apr 2022 OP
Lovie777 Apr 2022 #1
CTyankee May 2022 #2
NutmegYankee May 2022 #3
NutmegYankee May 2022 #4

Response to NutmegYankee (Original post)

Sat Apr 30, 2022, 09:55 AM

1. With all the insane restrictions that red states are imposing on their ......

citizens, blue states will see a boost in their economy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NutmegYankee (Original post)

Thu May 5, 2022, 04:49 PM

2. Maybe repost this in LBN or GD.

I'm so glad our state is so proudly pro-choice!

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #2)

Thu May 5, 2022, 04:49 PM

3. It was posted in both. I actually copied to here, hence the hat tip.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #2)

Thu May 5, 2022, 04:52 PM

4. I am extremely proud of our state.

We have tough laws to protect essential liberties rather than fascist (red) America’s trend of eliminating liberty.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread