HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » District of Columbia (Group) » What is Brood X? When do ...

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 02:23 PM

What is Brood X? When do cicadas come out in 2021?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/04/01/cicadas-come-out-2021-brood-x/?itid=hp-top-table-main

Sometime this spring, billions of cicadas that have been underground since 2004 will emerge en masse and blanket parts of the Eastern United States with their song and, eventually, their carcasses.

If you’re in the right location, they will be impossible to ignore.

That depends on the weather. This brood has been quietly rummaging around underground for the past 17 years and will not emerge until the soil temperature about a foot below ground reaches 64 degrees. Most will wait for a humid (but not stormy) evening to pop out of the tunnels they’ve been building for weeks.

They don’t all appear at once, but it may seem like it.

Where will the cicadas emerge in 2021?
If you live in the D.C. area, lucky you! You’ll be in the middle of cicada-Palooza, where huge concentrations will emerge simultaneously.

Lots of good images and diagrams at link that don't show up completely when hotlinked here.

Swarms of cicadas sound biblical.

2 replies, 694 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply What is Brood X? When do cicadas come out in 2021? (Original post)
IronLionZion Apr 2 OP
soothsayer Apr 2 #1
elleng Apr 2 #2

Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 02:28 PM

1. Will never be as bad as when I was a kid, but last time...

We did have a big rat population explosion in Arlington because cicadas were a great food source.

All of the building over every square inch of ground here has really taken its toll on these old-enough-to-drive insects, but they’re still impressive.

I can clearly remember the smell of rotting cicadas from my childhood tho. Will never forget that — or the one that got inside my shirt and on my back at recess. Omg.

The horror. The horror.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 06:59 PM

2. You beat me to it! (Deleting mine.)

Where will the cicadas emerge in 2021?
If you live in the D.C. area, lucky you! You’ll be in the middle of cicada-Palooza, where huge concentrations will emerge simultaneously.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread