HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Florida (Group) » Florida temporarily bans ...

Mon Dec 21, 2020, 11:56 AM

Florida temporarily bans teacher after disparaging comments

The former middle school teacher cannot teach in Florida until at least next summer.

A former Florida middle school teacher has been banned from teaching in the state until at least next summer after being accused of making disparaging and anti-immigrant comments to students.

The Education Practices Commission suspended the license of Susan Oyer, 54, last week for remarks she made to students at Boca Raton Middle School, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported.

Oyer is accused of telling students that she was going to “call immigration on you,” and that she was surprised their parents “haven’t thrown you to a wall,” according to the report.

If Oyer wants to teach again, she must pay a $1,000 fine and complete a course on classroom management.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2020/12/21/florida-temporarily-bans-teacher-after-disparaging-comments/

2 replies, 1039 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Florida temporarily bans teacher after disparaging comments (Original post)
Zorro Dec 2020 OP
Freedomofspeech Dec 2020 #1
CaptYossarian Dec 2020 #2

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Mon Dec 21, 2020, 12:18 PM

1. As a retired educator, I believe that woman is a disgrace to the profession.

She should never be allowed in the classroom again.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Mon Dec 21, 2020, 01:03 PM

2. My teaching career ended when I offended a bigoted 13-year old student.

This was in a parochial school.

The girl is now a Registered Nurse and her mom is on the local school board. Whenever she runs for re-election, she's unopposed. My ballot always remains blank next to her name.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread