HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Illinois (Group) » Illinois man, 81, uses an...

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 01:28 PM

Illinois man, 81, uses antique walking stick to beat thieves

https://apnews.com/article/illinois-man-81-stick-to-beat-thieves-e67671bfe9e0313fe0e7f8d42e4a05d2

Illinois man, 81, uses antique walking stick to beat thieves

November 19, 2020

NILES, Ill. (AP) — An 81-year-old former Marine from suburban Chicago used his grandfather’s antique Irish walking stick to chase off three burglars and deliver one a thump in the head for his trouble.

Dan and Barbara Donovan told the Pioneer Press newspaper group that a man in a reflective vest and mask knocked on their door in Niles on Nov. 4 and said he was a utility worker who needed to check their fuse box due to a recent fire in the area.

[...]

Donovan struck the man with the pillowcase in the back of the head with the stick. The man held onto the pillowcase as he followed his two cohorts outside, but Donovan, who was barefoot, followed, using the shillelagh to deliver blows to the windshield and rear window of the men’s SUV before they fled.

“Hopefully they got nothing more than a headache and hopefully they pursue another occupation,” he said.

4 replies, 861 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Illinois man, 81, uses antique walking stick to beat thieves (Original post)
sl8 Saturday OP
CountAllVotes Saturday #1
yonder Saturday #2
3Hotdogs Saturday #3
MyOwnPeace Saturday #4

Response to sl8 (Original post)

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 01:32 PM

1. Blackthorn Walking Stick

I had one of these for awhile.

It was very difficult to hold on to and kept slipping out of my hand.

It was also too long and could not be easily shortened. It had no gripper on the end of it so it was fairly useless I am sorry to say.

I ended up giving it to the local ER doctor as he collects walking sticks and really wanted it. He promised to give me another type of walking stick in exchange but he never kept his promise!

Anyway, buyer beware!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 01:35 PM

2. "Here's a wee taste of me blackthorn stick fer ye".

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 02:24 PM

3. I hope the windshield he broke was owned by the perps and not a stolen car.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 04:18 PM

4. You go, Sir!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread