HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Kansas (Group) » ACLU: No 'lawyer trick' n...

Sun Mar 25, 2018, 11:26 PM

ACLU: No 'lawyer trick' needed to spurn Kobach claims of voter fraud

KANSAS CITY, Kan. ó Dale Hoís mic drop flourish with a key witness for Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach made for one of the most memorable moments in a trial over the stateís voter registration law.

But it wasnít the first time the American Civil Liberties Union attorney exposed Jesse Richmanís ignorance in recognizing a federal judge, and from Hoís perspective, it wasnít Richmanís biggest calamity.

Embarrassed and bitter, Richmanís testimony became a hallmark of the seven-day trial, which ended last week with a coda to determine if Kobach should be held in contempt of court. An army of ACLU attorneys probed the work of Kobachís expert witnesses to undermine their academic merit while Kobach and his assistants appeared unprepared, inviting harsh words from U.S. District Judge Julie Robinson.

Already, Kobachís office is working to address its failure to comply with Robinsonís order to send postcards to suspended voters who were given a green light when the judge blocked enforcement of proof of citizenship requirements.

Read more: http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180325/aclu-no-lawyer-trick-needed-to-spurn-kobach-claims-of-voter-fraud

1 replies, 675 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply ACLU: No 'lawyer trick' needed to spurn Kobach claims of voter fraud (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2018 OP
The Polack MSgt Mar 2018 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Mar 26, 2018, 03:00 PM

1. But will it hurt him?

He dismissed the possibility his performance at trial will hurt his chances of becoming the stateís next governor.

ďI donít really think it affects things that much at all,Ē Kobach said. ďThe only maybe indirect effect might be that people see Iím defending our proof of citizenship law against the ACLU and are reminded of that fact. But no, I donít see a direct impact. Some people do follow judicial proceedings fairly closely, but I think most people probably donít"

In other words - I was never gonna get the votes of people who can read

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread