HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Kansas (Group) » Kansas Cost-Cutting Force...

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 02:48 AM

Kansas Cost-Cutting Forced Kids Who Need Urgent Psych Care Onto Waitlists

Nicole Nesmith’s voice shakes a little when she recalls the night her child, Phoenix, revealed a painful secret.

“Phoenix got really quiet and was like, ‘I have something to tell you and I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you sooner, but I’ve been cutting for about a month now.’”

Nesmith was working on a social work degree, so she was familiar with self-harming — she just hadn’t expected to deal with it so close to home.

Phoenix’s confession started a cycle familiar to families who have kids with severe mental illness — therapy, crisis hospitalizations, medication, more therapy, new meds when the old ones stopped working well, more hospitalizations.

Read more: https://www.kcur.org/post/kansas-cost-cutting-forced-kids-who-need-urgent-psych-care-waitlists#stream/0

2 replies, 660 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kansas Cost-Cutting Forced Kids Who Need Urgent Psych Care Onto Waitlists (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jan 2019 OP
Sucha NastyWoman Jan 2019 #1
mr_lebowski Jan 2019 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 03:11 AM

1. I've been that mother before

And the hopelessness of the situation can be paralyzing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 03:37 AM

2. Does 'cutting' really constitute a 'severe mental illness', though? Not meaning to downplay it ...

But I almost wonder whether treating it like it is ...couldn't do more harm than good in some cases. Especially if the 'cycle' being described is truly a common one, with all these medical/psych interventions.

Not a Doctor, of course, and certainly not giving medical advice ... but ... kids engage in all manner of odd things from the standpoint of adults ... and I'd imagine that in a fair number of cases ... what looks like 'crazy' ... it's actually nothing of the sort.

That all being said ... our 'national health-care system' needs to stand at the ready when needed, and not just fob our kids off.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread