HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Kansas (Group) » Kansas lawmakers fear fur...

Tue Sep 13, 2016, 05:53 AM

Kansas lawmakers fear further delays to $100 million KPERS payment

Lawmakers fear Kansas will not make good on its promise to pay $100 million to its pension system that it withheld earlier this year on the condition the amount is paid with interest by 2018.

Members of the Joint Committee on Pensions and Investments said Monday the Legislature will likely further delay making the payment as the state faces budget difficulties that lawmakers must confront next year.

Lawmakers this spring voted to allow Gov. Sam Brownback to delay the payment as a way to help balance the budget. Now, the payment may once again be put off in an effort to ease budget pressures if legislators' intuition proves correct.

“I’m not optimistic it will be paid back within the coming year or by that time frame,” said Rep. Steven Johnson, R-Assaria. “It must be paid back at some point in time because the debt is real even if the immediate desire to pay it is not.”

Read more: http://cjonline.com/news/2016-09-12/kansas-lawmakers-fear-further-delays-100-million-kpers-payment#

2 replies, 960 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kansas lawmakers fear further delays to $100 million KPERS payment (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 OP
Sherman A1 Sep 2016 #1
RKP5637 Sep 2016 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Sep 13, 2016, 07:29 AM

1. I believe that

they need to pay the bill and do so yesterday.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Sep 18, 2016, 10:58 PM

2. Because trickle down economics works so well. What a disaster Brownback has been and

they reelected him last election. As some have said, some in Kansas still think they're voting for Eisenhower republicans. Once upon a time Kansas, was an interesting place until Brownback and his henchmen destroyed the state.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread