HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Maryland (Group) » A Close Encounter for Ear...

Mon May 30, 2016, 03:59 PM

A Close Encounter for Earth and Mars

On Monday night, Earth and Mars will become cosmically cozy. The two will be at their closest in more than a decade, separated by just 47 million miles.

Normally, Mars is about 140 million miles from Earth on average, but that gap can widen to as much as 250 million miles when the two planets are on opposite sides of the sun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/science/mars-earth-closest-approach.html?

Too damn bad it's CLOUDY here!

2 replies, 1023 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Close Encounter for Earth and Mars (Original post)
elleng May 2016 OP
PJMcK May 2016 #1
elleng May 2016 #2

Response to elleng (Original post)

Mon May 30, 2016, 04:07 PM

1. One of our sister planets

Both Mars and Venus could have been habitable planets but their unique chemistries and distances from the sun made them barren (we believe) of life. Of course, they both lie within the "Goldilocks Zone" of orbits around the sun. As far as we know, only earth has brought forth advanced forms of life. Imagine what else the universe has to offer.

Thanks for posting this, elleng! I hope you have a telescope and clear skies and a happy Memorial Day weekend.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PJMcK (Reply #1)

Mon May 30, 2016, 04:10 PM

2. Thanks, PJ.

I have a camera (no telescope,) have caught little pics of Mars recently, but it's nothing but cloudy here now!

Enjoy your weekend.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread