HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Maryland (Group) » Senior Maryland Lawmaker ...

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 08:42 AM

Senior Maryland Lawmaker Resigns, Faces Wire Fraud Charge

A senior member of the House of Delegates who resigned abruptly Friday faces a federal corruption charge for allegedly pocketing more than $22,000 in campaign contributions.

The U.S. attorney’s office in Maryland announced Monday afternoon that Del. Tawanna P. Gaines (D-Prince George’s), the vice chairwoman of the House Appropriations Committee and newly installed chairwoman of its powerful Capital Budget Committee, faces one wire fraud charge for siphoning at least $22,000 from her campaign fund over a three-year period, from January 2015 to April 2018.

The charging document from U.S. Attorney Robert K. Hur alleges that the 18-year lawmaker operated a PayPal account for her campaign committee that only she knew about, enabling her to pocket contributions that were made to her committee through that payment method. Gaines did not disclose the existence of the PayPal account or its transactions on state campaign finance forms, the complaint alleges.

Maryland election law states that only a campaign treasurer can collect and disburse a candidate’s campaign funds.

Read more: https://www.marylandmatters.org/2019/10/07/senior-md-lawmaker-resigns-faces-wire-fraud-charge/

2 replies, 240 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senior Maryland Lawmaker Resigns, Faces Wire Fraud Charge (Original post)
TexasTowelie Oct 9 OP
CurtEastPoint Oct 9 #1
Firestorm49 Oct 9 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 08:49 AM

1. She threw away a lifetime of service and a good job for $22K. Very short sighted.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 08:58 AM

2. I don't give a hoot if you're a Republican or Democrat, this kind of crap always surfaces.

How stupid can you be? Well, I guess we know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread