HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Maryland (Group) » My neighborhood tomorrow,

Sat Jun 21, 2014, 04:52 PM

My neighborhood tomorrow,

Calvert celebrates 1812 anniversary!

The county also will host four tall ships. Kalmar Nyckel will dock at Watermanís Wharf, 14604 Solomons Island Road, Solomons; The Pride of Baltimore II will dock at the Solomons Island Yacht Club, 14604 H.G. Trueman Road, Solomons; the Sultana will dock at Zahniserís Yachting Center, 245 C St., Solomons; and the Dove will dock at the Calvert Marine Museum, 14200 Solomons Island Road, Solomons.

All ships will sail up the Patuxent River and anchor at Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum to participate in a re-creation of the Battle of St. Leonard Creek 2 p.m. June 22.

http://www.somdnews.com/article/20140620/ENTERTAINMENT/140629992/1068/calvert-celebrates-1812-anniversary&template=southernMaryland

2 replies, 1363 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply My neighborhood tomorrow, (Original post)
elleng Jun 2014 OP
grasswire Jun 2014 #1
elleng Jun 2014 #2

Response to elleng (Original post)

Sat Jun 21, 2014, 05:25 PM

1. what is the history of this Sultana, do you know?

A ship (not a tall ship) named Sultana was important in Civil War history. Loaded with nearly 2,000 Union soldiers who had been released from Andersonville prison, it exploded in Arkansas. It was a steamer, and it blew up. Most everyone died. I have a historic pphoto taken the day before it blew up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to grasswire (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 21, 2014, 05:29 PM

2. I don't know,

didn't even know of the current events, and unfortunately, was unaware of the history you discuss.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread