HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Maryland (Group) » Blue Claws: The Tasty Emb...

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 04:40 PM

Blue Claws: The Tasty Embodiment of Crabby

At first glance, an adult blue claw crab is a creature with claws and spines at every joint — with a few extras thrown in for good measure. It does not seem to have many good moods and is inclined to fits of anger, which it expresses like a cartoon Tasmanian devil: blood-crazed and claw-waving.

To be fair, had I been wrenched from a dark incoming tide in a 10-foot-long dip net and unceremoniously plunged into the bottom of a white five-gallon bucket, I might be somewhat miffed, too.

Blue claw crabs (Callinectes sapidus) are aggressive, but they are also delicious — as valuable for family dinners as they have been commercially for centuries as a harvested species. Though they are famously associated with the Chesapeake Bay, the highly entertaining vocabulary used to describe their life history is also used for those living in the Hudson’s estuary. The protein in your soft-shell-crab sandwich is more than just seafood.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/nyregion/blue-claws-the-tasty-embodiment-of-crabby.html?

6 replies, 1462 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Blue Claws: The Tasty Embodiment of Crabby (Original post)
elleng Sep 2015 OP
beveeheart Sep 2015 #1
elleng Sep 2015 #2
beveeheart Sep 2015 #3
elleng Sep 2015 #5
packman Sep 2015 #4
elleng Sep 2015 #6

Response to elleng (Original post)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 05:07 PM

1. Born in Baltimore, raised on the Eastern Shore

and now living in Colorado. Sure do miss the crab feasts!! My family in Chestertown tells me there will still be crabs available when I visit in October. Can't wait!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to beveeheart (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 05:09 PM

2. Oh c'mon home!!!

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 05:25 PM

3. Oh, I do. Once or twice a year,

but never in the hot and humid summertime. I'm too used to the low humidity here. Sometimes, just after I've arrived when we're starting to cross the Chesapeake Bay (which I love), I feel like I'm breathing in water. Weird sensation, but I get over it. And a trip home wouldn't be complete without lots of crabs and going to the ocean.

Reply to this post

Response to beveeheart (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 05:37 PM

5. I understand getting used to the low humidity there,

lived in Denver for a year and really appreciated the climate! Grew up in New York, then lived in DC for 20+ years, and now at riversegge about 3 miles from the Bay in southern MD, so do 'suffer' from humidity, but must say I don't suffer too much!

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Original post)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 05:31 PM

4. Brings back memories of living in Maryland

Used to go out to the Eastern shore to an old dock with crab cages . We'd bait the cages with chicken necks and throw them into the bay. Remember getting dozens of crabs , bringing them home and steaming them with Old Bay seasoning. Good stuff. Then, sadly, the Bay just seemed to dry up in the 80's and crabs became almost disappeared due to pollution. I remember how the price went up almost 10 fold for a bushel of crabs.
Glad to see they made a come back.

Reply to this post

Response to packman (Reply #4)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 05:49 PM

6. My daughter caught these in my back(yard) creek last summer,

obviously not the kind of haul we're used to steaming and dining on! My neighbor/landlord's family has caught them as you describe, I've heard.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread