HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Michigan (Group) » Michigan tops nation in s...

Sat May 14, 2016, 09:36 AM

Michigan tops nation in shrinking middle class, study shows

The middle class in the United States has been shrinking since 2000, and nowhere is the trend more evident than Michigan, according to a study released this week by the Pew Research Center.

What makes the Michigan numbers especially distressing: In three-quarters of U.S. metro areas analyzed, the shrinking middle class was partially offset by a rise in affluent households, a trend that didn't occur in most of Michigan.

Adjusted for household size and inflation, Michigan's median household income declined 17 percent between 1999 and 2014 from a median of $75,370 in 1999 to $62,608 in 2014 the biggest drop among the 50 states and District of Columbia, the Pew study found.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/05/michigan_tops_nation_in_shrink.html

Anybody wonder why Sanders did so well in the primary and why we need to be concerned about Drumph in the Fall?

2 replies, 1161 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michigan tops nation in shrinking middle class, study shows (Original post)
corkhead May 2016 OP
Purveyor May 2016 #1
corkhead May 2016 #2

Response to corkhead (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2016, 10:09 AM

1. A lot of Trump supporters coming through my store. Hillary, well not so much at all. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Purveyor (Reply #1)

Sat May 14, 2016, 10:59 AM

2. Off topic but funny, a few months ago I thought about if Sanders lost and we were stuck with Hillary

I researched and seriously considered having some custom printed clothespins made with the right pointing H logo and the tag line "because the alternative is unthinkable" so I could give them away this summer or maybe even sell them as my million dollar idea. Ultimately I decided against it because I thought it would inflict negative karma on the Sanders' campaign.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread