HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Michigan (Group) » Look Up! Stunning Norther...

Fri Aug 30, 2019, 03:29 PM

Look Up! Stunning Northern Lights Visible From Michigan Labor Day Weekend

(WWJ) Keep your eyes on the skies this Labor Day weekend, and you could be in for a spectacular show.

Astronomer Mike Narlock, at the Cranbook Institute of Science, the Northern Lights will be visible from Mackinac City and most places in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Friday night through Monday night.

If weather conditions are just right, he said, some may even catch the show from downstate, including darker placed in metro Detroit.

"They're stunning if you see them, especially if you've never seen one before, or if you're lucky enough to see one that's maybe reddish or even bluish, they're just dazzling to see," Narlock said. "And you can really see some interesting structure, and just the way that they move is really mesmerizing."

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/look-northern-lights-visible-michigan-weekend

2 replies, 676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Look Up! Stunning Northern Lights Visible From Michigan Labor Day Weekend (Original post)
demmiblue Aug 2019 OP
JustABozoOnThisBus Aug 2019 #1
Bob Loblaw Aug 2019 #2

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Fri Aug 30, 2019, 04:11 PM

1. A few decades ago (or more), I watched the aurora from a bar parking lot in Detroit.

So, it's possible.

These days, for me, the challenge is to stay up that late

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Sat Aug 31, 2019, 06:54 AM

2. Saw them for the first time from Mackinac Island

about twenty years ago around this time of year. Incredible! Since then I've just been living between, hope to see them again sometime.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread