HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Michigan (Group) » HUGE turnout at my pollin...

Tue Nov 6, 2012, 07:36 PM

HUGE turnout at my polling location today. Do we need early voting in Michigan??

I live in a heavily Democratic precinct in heavily Democratic Ypsilanti Township. I voted this morning and spent about 90 minutes standing in line and voting. The parking lot was full and cars were parked up and down along both sides of the street out front. I drove by at about 7 PM tonight and the number of cars parked along the street was many times what it was when I voted. There was probably four times as many cars out there. There's NO WAY those people are going to get to cast their ballots by 8 or even 9 PM. Maybe not even before 10 PM.

I HOPE everybody stays late enough to vote. Obviously, voting was difficult for all of us today. I could understand if elderly people, those that work long hours, or those with small children just would not have been able to stand in the lines long enough to vote today. "They could have voted absentee" is NOT the proper response to this problem. Most voters would not expect the lines to be that long. I thought I would be out of there in half an hour, maybe one hour.

We NEED early voting in Michigan. Our right wing legislature will NEVER allow it, because they are the party of voter suppression, not voter inclusion. The scariest three words to a Republican are "Massive Voter Turnout". We NEED to increase voter turnout in Michigan, especially in off Presidential election years. This is a structural change that we can pass along to our children and grandchildren. Life is too short to allow a rogue right wing legislature to squash your personal goals for five, or ten, or twenty years...

We'll never convince our right wing legislature to allow early voting, like several other states allow. We NEED to get the people of Michigan to speak with one (LOUD) voice and DEMAND that our legislature enact early voting. If we Democrats declare war on the voter suppression movement we can bring attention to our own goals of increasing voter participation.

Please make your voice heard and please DEMAND early voting for Michigan residents!

1 replies, 1216 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply HUGE turnout at my polling location today. Do we need early voting in Michigan?? (Original post)
Lefty48197 Nov 2012 OP
Obamamama44 Nov 2012 #1

Response to Lefty48197 (Original post)

Tue Nov 6, 2012, 07:39 PM

1. Yes yes yes yes we need early voting here!!! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread