HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Michigan (Group) » Open carry of firearms ba...

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 05:10 PM

Open carry of firearms banned at Michigan polling places on Election Day

Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, with the backing of Attorney General Dana Nessel, has ordered Michigan election officials to prohibit open-carry firearms at polling places on Election Day.

Benson sent the notice to clerk’s offices across the state on Friday, Oct. 16, saying the move is necessary to prohibit voter intimidation, disruptions and fear at the polls Nov. 3. The announcement did not cite any state law affording Benson’s office the authority to order such a ban, though Nessel is supporting the move after reviewing open carry laws.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/10/open-carry-of-firearms-banned-at-michigan-polling-places-on-election-day.html

3 replies, 407 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Open carry of firearms banned at Michigan polling places on Election Day (Original post)
634-5789 Oct 16 OP
TexasTowelie Oct 16 #1
634-5789 Oct 17 #2
TexasTowelie Oct 17 #3

Response to 634-5789 (Original post)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 09:46 PM

1. I see that you beat me to the story.

I was about to post this morning before noon, but I fell asleep for a nice long nap.

Jocelyn Benson says open carry of firearms prohibited at polls on Election Day
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/news/elections/jocelyn-benson-says-open-carry-of-firearms-prohibited-at-polls-on-election-day/article_38ac40a8-0fb3-11eb-87be-87edb14d290e.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 05:41 AM

2. You gotta leave some crumbs for us newbies.

Reply to this post

Response to 634-5789 (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 07:40 AM

3. I'm actually happy that someone else is posting in this group.

I started posting in the state groups about 4 years ago because some of the groups were inactive. It is discouraging for a newbie to go into a group and see that it is nearly blank so I've concentrated on the local stories. I was a state employee decades ago so I have an interest in legislation, laws, and policy issues. Throw in an occasional human interest story and voila! On a positive note, the state groups are more active so it is pleasing that I may have a small influence in that regard.

Finally, a belated welcome to DU to you.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread