HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Minnesota (Group) » Polygamous sect leader or...

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 02:11 AM

Polygamous sect leader ordered to stop building near Grand Marais

GRAND MARAIS, Minn. (AP) Officials in northern Minnesota have ordered a temporary halt to construction on land linked to a man who led a secretive polygamous sect's compound in South Dakota.

Cook County officials issued the cease-and-desist order Friday to a company tied to Seth Jeffs. KARE-TV reports the order was issued after officials visited the 40-acre property west of Grand Marais and found apparent wetland violations.

Jeffs is the brother of Warren Jeffs, imprisoned leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Authorities have said Seth Jeffs led the sect's South Dakota Black Hills compound, a site that has raised concerns among nearby residents.

Seth Jeffs applied in August to build a 5,760-square-foot building on the Minnesota land.

Read more: https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2019/05/30/polygamous-sect-leader-ordered-stop-building-near-grand-marais/1284171001/
(St. Cloud Times)

3 replies, 664 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Polygamous sect leader ordered to stop building near Grand Marais (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2019 OP
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 2019 #1
TexasTowelie Jun 2019 #2
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 2019 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Jun 2, 2019, 11:20 AM

1. Grand Marais, the town where older men routinely assault young women? That Grand Marais?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 2, 2019, 11:31 AM

2. In that case why would Seth Jeffs' group matter?

It sounds like a great place to meet someone.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #2)

Sun Jun 2, 2019, 11:33 AM

3. Exactly! I've heard a lot of people say "Why Grand Marais?" when they hear about Jeffs moving in

and I'm like...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread