HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Minnesota (Group) » John Mason Challenges Oma...

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 05:07 PM

John Mason Challenges Omar in Primary

Anyone know this guy? Looks appealing, I was thinking of contributing to his campaign:

....an accomplished diversity & inclusion Executive, community organizer/activist, entrepreneur, and civic leader," announced that he'll run as a DFL challenger against Rep. Omar in the next Minnesota Democratic primary.

Mason would make history if elected, as he would become the first openly gay black man in the U.S. Congress.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/minneapolis-entrepreneur-to-challenge-rep-ilhan-omar-in-democratic-primary

6 replies, 1085 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply John Mason Challenges Omar in Primary (Original post)
eissa Nov 2019 OP
evertonfc Nov 2019 #1
The Velveteen Ocelot Nov 2019 #2
geardaddy Nov 2019 #5
Randomthought Nov 2019 #6
eissa Nov 2019 #3
dflprincess Nov 2019 #4

Response to eissa (Original post)

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 05:08 PM

1. good

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 05:16 PM

2. I'll be keeping an eye on him.

I supported Omar enthusiastically at first, but in the last year or so she's made herself a lightning rod in situations where she didn't need to. Having a strong opinion and speaking out is great and I'm all for it, but she's had some own-goals that she could have avoided if she had some political savvy - like voting "present" on the Armenian genocide resolution. Nobody was happy with that, as far as I can tell. If she's going to be a distraction she can't represent her constituents effectively. If John Mason puts up a convincing campaign in the primary he might win it.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 03:28 PM

5. I'm with you on this.

I was enthusiastic for her. Her voting "present" on the Armenian genocide resolution was the breaking point for me.

Reply to this post

Response to geardaddy (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 10, 2019, 04:59 PM

6. Me, too

I have been unhappy for awhile and have called her office and emailed. No response to emails.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 05:26 PM

3. You can donate to his campaign here

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/mason-for-minnesota-1?fbclid=IwAR2HQEgKMTpNrqVENJ_eNCJXau0MPOGSzHVyHdtWitcBZliDeFwB23mL6Bw

Defending her constantly from her own actions was tiring, but the genocide resolution was the breaking point for me. It shows that her progressiveness ends where her religion begins, and I won't support anyone who prioritizes their religion over humanity, no matter which faith it is.

This is already making the rounds of the Armenian and Assyrian communities, and they're excited about getting another progressive in there. Fingers crossed!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 10:25 PM

4. I'm glad to see this

I don't live in the 5th but I do think Omar has become a distraction and, at times, appears to be in over her head. (To be honest, if I lived in the district I would have voted for Patricia Torres Ray in the 2018 primary, just based on experience.)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread