HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » New Mexico (Group) » Alamogordo man with no id...

Tue Apr 11, 2017, 01:04 AM

Alamogordo man with no identity denied driver's license

ALAMOGORDO ó For most New Mexicans renewing a driverís license is not a problem but for some it has been nothing short of a nightmare.

For Alamogordo resident Arthur Mcintosh, 86, renewing his driverís license has left him feeling perplexed, defeated and in his own words, betrayed.

Since the Real ID Act was passed by Congress in 2005, the controversial measure lets the federal government set security standards for IDs that can be used for federal purposes such as boarding airplanes and entering military bases. Many states have already come into compliance with Real ID, including the state of New Mexico.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), all U.S. states have until Oct. 1, 2020 to comply with the federal law or its residents could be prevented from boarding, and flying on, commercial airlines, and could be denied access to U.S. military installations or all federal government buildings.

Read more: http://www.alamogordonews.com/story/news/local/community/2017/04/07/alamogordo-man-no-identity-denied-drivers-license/100194806/

1 replies, 5436 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alamogordo man with no identity denied driver's license (Original post)
TexasTowelie Apr 2017 OP
Warpy Apr 2017 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Apr 11, 2017, 01:07 AM

1. I think this crap is going to be overturned at some point

since it discriminates against nearly everybody I know who grew up on the rez and everybody who still lives there. Most of them don't keep that kind of paper.

It's absolutely INSANE that a valid passport isn't considered adequate identification.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread