HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » New Mexico (Group) » Teen battling cancer was ...

Tue Aug 28, 2018, 08:09 AM

Teen battling cancer was told to take off hat during picture day

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —
Picture day is one of the biggest days of the school year for kids. But for one middle school student, it was one of the most humiliating.

“It was just really humiliating and upsetting for me. I was trying hard not to cry. It was just not a good experience,” Bella Thurston said. Bella Thurston, 13, is battling cancer. “She has ependymoma, which is a brain and spine tumor. She was first diagnosed when she was 5,” Kara Thurston, her mother, said.

Some of Bella’s hair had fallen out after recent chemo treatments. That’s why she wears a hat.On picture d ay at Hoover Middle School, she said the photographer told her she needed to take her hat off.

“He says it's against policy. And I was like, 'OK, so I can't wear my hat?' and he was like, 'No, you can go fix your hair, take your hat off or I won't take your picture,' and I didn't let him take my picture because I didn't feel that I needed to take my hat off in order for him to take my picture,” Bella said.

Lifetouch Photography officials apologized for what they call a misunderstanding ...

Full article:
https://www.koat.com/article/teen-battling-cancer-was-told-to-take-off-hat-during-picture-day/22841754

3 replies, 1292 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Teen battling cancer was told to take off hat during picture day (Original post)
left-of-center2012 Aug 2018 OP
marble falls Aug 2018 #1
gay texan Aug 2018 #2
murielm99 Aug 2018 #3

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Tue Aug 28, 2018, 09:34 AM

1. Adults. When will they grow up?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Aug 28, 2018, 12:11 PM

2. So many assholes in this world n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 28, 2018, 01:39 PM

3. We had a kid with cancer at our middle school.

No one was allowed to wear hats in class. The girl and her family worried about this.

What did the principal do? She had a hat day, and everyone was allowed to wear a hat. Of course, the girl with cancer was free to wear her hat every day.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread