HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » North Carolina (Group) » Colonial 'time capsule' f...

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 09:45 PM

Colonial 'time capsule' found under floors of North Carolina port tavern that burned in 1760s

Archaeologists exploring the site of a recently discovered 18th Century tavern in eastern North Carolina say they were stunned to learn it burned to the ground with a treasure trove of merchandise stored under the floorboards.

The fire, which occurred in the 1760s, caused the walls to collapse over the floors, sealing the crawl space shut like a ďtime capsule,Ē says Dr. Charles Ewen, who led the dig with a crew of students from East Carolina University.

Itís suspected the site may also have served as a brothel for the historic port, known as Brunswick Town.

Items found under the foundation include intact smoking pipes that were never used, crushed liquor bottles and iron tools that historians canít yet identify, Ewen told the Charlotte Observer.

Read more: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article230892034.html

3 replies, 689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Colonial 'time capsule' found under floors of North Carolina port tavern that burned in 1760s (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2019 OP
marylandblue Jun 2019 #1
The Velveteen Ocelot Jun 2019 #2
TexasTowelie Jun 2019 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 09:52 PM

1. Unidentifiable iron tools in a brothel sounds pretty kinky for the 18th Century.

Maybe Ben Franklin was there?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 10:03 PM

3. Thank you.

I edited the OP. Dang it, I had too many tabs open.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread