HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » North Carolina (Group) » Rev. Barber convicted of ...

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 10:02 PM

Rev. Barber convicted of trespassing at General Assembly during 2017 protest

Note: This was published on June 6.

RALEIGH -- Civil rights leader the Rev. William Barber was convicted Thursday on trespassing charges stemming from his 2017 protest at the General Assembly, ending a trial that pitted civil disobedience against strict enforcement of the law.

It took jurors just 22 minutes to find Barber guilty after four days of testimony that included video footage of his call-and-response chant protesting health care spending deficiencies outside Sen. Phil Berger’s office.

Presiding Judge Stephan Futrell said he worried about “the great political divide that’s hanging over all of this,” but he saw no signs that jurors were swayed by partisanship.

“It’s hard to find too much reason to punish,” he said, “and in this case I’m not inclined to do so.”

Barber received a one-day sentence, suspended, 12 months of unsupervised probation, a $200 fine and 24 hours of community service.

Read more: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article231254283.html

1 replies, 321 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rev. Barber convicted of trespassing at General Assembly during 2017 protest (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 15 OP
tulipsandroses Jun 15 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 11:20 PM

1. So about that community service thing - The man does nothing but serve his community

I love Rev. Barber..

Sigh, we can convict a noble man like Rev. Barber but a cretin like Trump gets away with multiple crimes. I tell ya, the world is upside down.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread