HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Ohio (Group) » Sex offender status reduc...

Sun Sep 27, 2015, 10:17 AM

Sex offender status reduced in rape case

Sex offender status reduced in Steubenville ex-football player rape case

Trent Mays and another high school player in Steubenville were convicted of a raping a West Virginia girl at a party in 2012.
Mays, 19, was also found delinquent for using his phone to take a photo of the nude victim.

The case drew national media attention in part ... to allegations that authorities were covering up the actions of players on the cityís revered football team.
Trent Mays was released in January after serving a two-year sentence in an Ohio Department of Youth Services facility.
Judge Thomas Lipps reduced Maysí status to the lowest sex-offender level, meaning he must register annually for the next 10 years.

Mays is (now) taking classes at Hocking College in southern Ohio, where heís also the star quarterback ...

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150925/sex-offender-status-reduced-in-steubenville-ex-football-player-rape-case

3 replies, 1182 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sex offender status reduced in rape case (Original post)
left-of-center2012 Sep 2015 OP
mercuryblues Sep 2015 #1
ladym55 Sep 2015 #2
radicalliberal Sep 2015 #3

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Sun Sep 27, 2015, 12:56 PM

1. sshhh. don't be outraged

about this. When the cover up and threats failed to work, they along with their friends, parents, prosecutors, coaches and law enforcement proceeded to smear the victim.

They have been welcomed into colleges and back onto football teams. So why would this easing of their sentences come as any surprise? In a few years it will be like they never raped anyone at all. The victim will be forgotten, but she will never be able to forget them.

Last year, Lipps eased the same requirements for Maysís co-defendant to registering once a year for the next decade.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Sun Sep 27, 2015, 04:27 PM

2. And we wonder why football players act like they are above the law

At the time the news broke, I remember hearing not one but TWO female local TV reporters fretting about what the case would do to the promising careers of those "poor boys." I'm still amazed that my TV screen survived my outrage, but you know, FOOTBALL.

Reply to this post

Response to ladym55 (Reply #2)

Sun Sep 27, 2015, 08:18 PM

3. Remember Poppy Harlow of CNN?

This is one of the reasons why I've never become a football fan. You'd think many of the fans would object to this sort of corruption, but . . . no. If I were a fan, I wouldn't cheer for a thug.

By the way, this sends a great message to the next victims.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread