HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Ohio (Group) » Consumer advocate wants t...

Sun Sep 13, 2020, 09:29 PM

Consumer advocate wants to know where utility got $60M from in alleged bribery scandal

Ohio’s official utility watchdog wants to know where Akron-based FirstEnergy got the $60 million that federal prosecutors say fueled the largest bribery scandal in Ohio history.

The Office of Ohio Consumers’ Counsel on Tuesday evening filed several motions with the Public Utilities Commission:

• A request for an investigation and a management audit of FirstEnergy.
• A requirement that the company show that it hadn’t misused consumer money to support the passage of a nuclear bailout.
• And that the regulator reopen a probe into how FirstEnergy spent money intended to upgrade the electricity grid.

In July, the U.S. Attorney’s office charged then-House Speaker, Larry Householder, R-Glenford, in an alleged scheme to funnel FirstEnergy money through 509(c)(4) “dark money” groups in a corrupt effort to elect supportive lawmakers and make Householder speaker.

The feds say the goal was to pass House Bill 6, a $1.3 billion bailout that went primarily to two failing nuclear power plants, but also subsidized two failing coal-powered generators. In addition, the money was used to fund a xenophobic campaign to stop a voter repeal of HB 6 and to line the pockets of Householder and his alleged conspirators, federal officials said.

Read more: https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2020/09/10/consumer-advocate-wants-to-know-where-utility-got-60m-from-in-alleged-bribery-scandal/

1 replies, 515 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Consumer advocate wants to know where utility got $60M from in alleged bribery scandal (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2020 OP
Tribetime Sep 2020 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Sep 13, 2020, 09:35 PM

1. I paid my electric bill today and they said they

Were going to start back up disconnections

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread