HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » New Oregon law takes a sw...

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 12:16 AM

New Oregon law takes a swipe at 'flushable' wipes

SALEM, Ore. — Oregon will become the second state in the US to require that disposable wipes be labeled with "Do Not Flush," a triumph for water district officials and local governments in the state.

While many wipes are marketed as "flushable" these days, the people that deal with the end result say that these products have been wreaking havoc on sewer and wastewater systems throughout the state of Oregon.

“The COVID-19 pandemic exacerbated an already growing problem caused by a glut of products marketed as flushable, when in fact they were clogging and damaging residential and community pipes,” said Susie Smith, director of the Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies. “We are grateful to the cities, agencies and legislators who championed this common-sense requirement.”

House Bill 2344 was championed by Smith's group, the League of Oregon Cities, and the Special Districts Association of Oregon. Together, they asked that a bill be introduced due to the ongoing challenges and rising costs associated with wipes and related products that are flushed down the toilet — resulting in sewer backups, overflows, damage to pumps and wastewater equipment.

Read more: https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/New-Oregon-law-takes-a-swipe-at-flushable-wipes-574632681.html

12 replies, 1032 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Oregon law takes a swipe at 'flushable' wipes (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2021 OP
Ka-Dinh Oy Jun 2021 #1
calimary Jun 2021 #7
TreasonousBastard Jun 2021 #2
TexasTowelie Jun 2021 #3
TreasonousBastard Jun 2021 #5
SleeplessinSoCal Jun 2021 #4
TexasTowelie Jun 2021 #6
Beartracks Jun 2021 #8
TexasTowelie Jun 2021 #12
RockRaven Jun 2021 #9
cstanleytech Jun 2021 #10
Kablooie Jun 2021 #11

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 12:26 AM

1. I have never flushed the flushable wipes.

There is just something about them that made me weary of flushing them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ka-Dinh Oy (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:41 AM

7. Neither do we.

It always seemed like a bad idea. Too bulky for the pipes to accommodate.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 01:15 AM

2. There is no such thing as a "flushable wipe" although it's been tried...

Most absorbent paper includes some sort of strengthener which stops it from breaking down in the toilet bowl. Even Kleenex might have some.

I used to live in an apartment complex where at least once every 6 months a sewer guy would have to be called when the pipes stopped up and apartments got flooded. It was all paper towels and wipes being flushed down.

https://www.today.com/series/one-small-thing/are-flushable-wipes-really-flushable-t151945

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 01:45 AM

3. My apartment complex recently sent out a flyer to every apartment telling us what we can

and cannot flush. Apparently there have been so many incidents that they told the tenants that we could be billed if they trace a problem to a specific apartment. The one thing that I see my brother flush are cigarette butts so I had to get on his case about that.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:05 AM

5. We got those, too. But, it's usually impossible to tell who the culprits are.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 01:59 AM

4. Thanks for the article!

I just sent it to my councilwoman. We just had costly problems with our own sanitation dept. Many new people with babies in our smallish complex. We all pay the price for those wipes going down the toilet.

Reply to this post

Response to SleeplessinSoCal (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:16 AM

6. You're welcome.

My apartment complex and my apartment building is mostly older people so we don't have a huge problem, but I've lived at other complexes where it could be an issue with babies and toddlers.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:48 AM

8. Oregon towelies?

Sorry.

=========

Reply to this post

Response to Beartracks (Reply #8)

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:59 AM

12. LOL. Yes, I envy my cousin.

He gets the dank bud for the appetizer and shrooms for the entrée since it's legal! ⚗️🍄

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:49 AM

9. At the start of COVID lockdowns when everyone went crazy about hoarding toilet paper,

our local sanitation district repeatedly sent mailers to every customer practically begging people to not flush "flushable" wipes and other such things.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:53 AM

10. Perhaps its time that cities to sue the manufacturer's for damages for labeling them as flushable?

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 18, 2021, 02:57 AM

11. I tried them but after a few months...

Had to hire a plumber to remove a huge wad of them stuck deep in our pipes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread