HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » Gov. Wolf calls for indep...

Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:11 PM

Gov. Wolf calls for independent commission to draw Pennsylvania electoral map

HARRISBURG — A week after two courts decided not to intervene in a challenge to Pennsylvania’s redrawn congressional district boundaries, Gov. Wolf on Monday renewed his call for legislators to create an independent commission to draw the state’s electoral maps.

His announcement came a day before the Senate’s state government committee was set to discuss that measure and other potential election changes.

That effort is supported by several groups that endorsed the lawsuit that led the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to strike down the previous congressional map and impose a new one, a move that many expect will improve Democrats’ chances of gaining ground in this year’s elections.

“This should not be a partisan issue,” Wolf said at a Monday afternoon news conference in the Capitol. He added later, “This is really about democracy.”

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/state/gov-tom-wolf-commission-electoral-maps-gerrymandering-reform-bills-20180326.html

4 replies, 1058 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gov. Wolf calls for independent commission to draw Pennsylvania electoral map (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2018 OP
RandySF Mar 2018 #1
slumcamper Mar 2018 #3
dchill Mar 2018 #2
NBachers Mar 2018 #4

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:13 PM

1. CA, IA and AZ do it.

I love it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RandySF (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:21 PM

3. Anecdote from Iowa

I agree that this offers less opportunity for nefarious g-mandering. It also lays bare in a stark and most objective manner the attitudes of voters as reflected in their preferences. And to that, I must say SHAME ON IOWA'S 4TH DISTRICT VOTERS!! Your continued support of Steve King reveals you to be ______________ (fill in the blank).

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:13 PM

2. Sorry, Dick, but it's about stifling democracy.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 28, 2018, 12:17 AM

4. I'm quite pleased with how it's worked out in California. At first, I had reservations about how

"independent" the commission would be. If they truly are capable and independent, then I'm all for it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread