HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » Proposed legislation woul...

Mon Mar 11, 2019, 05:54 PM

Proposed legislation would prohibit nursing home employees from serving as patient guardians

HARRISBURG, PA Who should handle the affairs of a vulnerable person?

In response to a case of possible financial exploitation of a constituent of his, state Rep. Thomas Murt, a Montgomery County Republican, wants to outlaw employees of long-term facilities from taking advantage of their closeness to those for whom they care.

Murt has reintroduced legislation that would prohibit an employee of a long-term care facility from serving, for any patient of their employer, as: a guardian, an agent under a power of attorney, a beneficiary of any insurance policy or annuity, or an executor of the customer's estate of a patient.

The proposal has 14 cosponsors and enjoys bipartisan support, including state Reps. Thomas R. Caltagirone, a Reading Democrat, and Mark M. Gillen, a Robeson Township Republican.

Read more: https://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/limits-proposed-on-who-can-serve-as-a-guardian

1 replies, 722 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Proposed legislation would prohibit nursing home employees from serving as patient guardians (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2019 OP
MH1 Mar 2019 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Mar 11, 2019, 06:03 PM

1. I can't see anything wrong with this bill, even if it came from an R

I would think somebody who truly has no family or others to serve as guardian, could get someone appointed by the court.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread