HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » Pressure grows to loosen ...

Sun May 5, 2019, 07:53 PM

Pressure grows to loosen party grip on Pennsylvania primary

HARRISBURG — Pennsylvania: Land of Disenfranchisement?

It’s not the state slogan, but Pennsylvania is in the minority of states with closed primary elections as the number of independent voters grows quickly and sparks a debate in Pennsylvania’s Legislature for the first time in memory about opening up party primaries.

It helps that it is led by a high-profile backer, the top Republican in the GOP-controlled state Senate, Joe Scarnati, who has his own story about switching his registration to independent in 2000 to get elected.

“As I look at extremism that takes place in primaries today and lack of participation, I want to increase that participation in the primary process,” Scarnati, R-Jefferson, said in an interview Wednesday. “And I think it is a start, it’s not a solution, but it is a start to start getting some moderation in our primary process.”

Read more: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-local/2019/05/05/Pressure-grows-to-loosen-party-grip-on-Pennsylvania-primary-independents/stories/201905040080

2 replies, 423 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pressure grows to loosen party grip on Pennsylvania primary (Original post)
TexasTowelie May 5 OP
FakeNoose May 5 #1
msongs May 5 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun May 5, 2019, 08:06 PM

1. I can't support this, and I don't believe it would end well for the Dems

This would open the door for even more ratf*cking by the GOP and we've seen way too much of it already. No thanks Scarnati, keep your hands off our Democratic primary. We'll select our own candidates without your - ahem - help.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun May 5, 2019, 08:15 PM

2. gee have not noticed much extremism...except in repub primaries nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread