HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » Long divided by abortion,...

Tue May 14, 2019, 07:22 PM

Long divided by abortion, House Democrats anticipate strong showing against Down syndrome ban

House Democrats who support abortion rights are hoping that a likely vote this week on a bill to ban the procedure will be a chance for the caucus to flex their political muscle on a hot-button issue.

The majority-Republican chamber could vote as soon as Monday on legislation co-sponsored by House Speaker Mike Turzai, R-Allegheny, that would ban abortions based on a diagnosis of Down syndrome.

Supporters say the bill protects human dignity and disability rights. Critics denounce it as likely unconstitutional and practically unenforceable.

A similar Down syndrome ban passed the 203-member House last year with 24 Democratic votes.

Read more: https://www.penncapital-star.com/health-care/long-divided-by-abortion-house-democrats-anticipate-strong-showing-against-down-syndrome-ban/

1 replies, 474 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Long divided by abortion, House Democrats anticipate strong showing against Down syndrome ban (Original post)
TexasTowelie May 2019 OP
PoindexterOglethorpe May 2019 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue May 14, 2019, 08:18 PM

1. I wonder how many of them have had a pregnancy

where the fetus was diagnosed with Down?

None, I bet.

And while I'm pretty sure I would not myself abort because of Down, I'm not about to say no one else should be allowed to.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread