HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » PSA: Election Law in Penn...

Fri Aug 21, 2020, 07:19 PM

PSA: Election Law in Pennsylvania

It's been awhile since I was a Judge of Elections, but I don't think the state election law has changed regarding polling places.

In the poll, the Judge of Elections rules, period. The Judge can evict police or anyone who is disrupting or trying to intimidate voters. If you are a pollwatcher, you need the proper paperwork AND you must sit SILENTLY while you watch. Your seat is a proscribed distance from the actual voting area and sign in table.
You also may not wear or display any partisan clothing, hat, pin, etc or do anything else that would constitute "campaigning" inside the poll. No campaigning is permitted outside within 100' of the poll.

3 replies, 531 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply PSA: Election Law in Pennsylvania (Original post)
DeminPennswoods Aug 21 OP
progressive nobody Aug 21 #1
IllinoisBirdWatcher Aug 21 #2
MyOwnPeace Aug 21 #3

Response to DeminPennswoods (Original post)

Fri Aug 21, 2020, 07:26 PM

1. My polling place is in the lobby of a church

and a small place.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DeminPennswoods (Original post)

Fri Aug 21, 2020, 07:59 PM

2. Illinois has similar well-defined rules

tRumps threats of providing goons won't happen here. Even local police have very limited authority at a polling location:

NOTE: Uniformed police or plain-clothes police officers wearing badges and guns may not stand or
sit in the polling place as observers.

They may enter the polling place only if the judges or the Clerk’s office invite them in to resolve a disturbance.

Police must leave the polling place when the disturbance is over.

Electioneering, or any type of campaigning, is prohibited in the Campaign-Free Zone during voting hours.

Election judges are the sole authority in the polling place.

Election judges may expel observers who violate these rules from the polling place. If they persist, judges may have them arrested.

Reply to this post

Response to IllinoisBirdWatcher (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 21, 2020, 08:33 PM

3. And as I posted elsewhere....

PA voting law does not allow uniformed police within 100 ft. of the door of a poling place.

Oh, and like I said on the other post: SUCK IT, TRUMP!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread