HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Followup: 76-year-old Vi...

Mon Dec 15, 2014, 10:34 PM

Followup: 76-year-old Victoria man's tasing gains global attention

In the wake of controversial deaths involving police in Missouri and New York, stories of law enforcement using excessive force are on the forefront of the public's psyche.

Pete Vasquez, a 76-year-old Victoria resident, is seeing the uproar first-hand after a police officer used a Taser on him Thursday morning for a non-existent misdemeanor violation.

Vasquez's story broke Sunday morning in the Victoria Advocate and within 24 hours was shared around the world. The story became a national trend on Facebook, made the front page of online aggregator Reddit and was published to international news sites, including The Guardian, The Washington Post and The Huffington Post.

-snip-

"I hate to see someone else go through the same thing I went through," Vasquez said. "I've been getting a lot of calls and comments from people that this police officer has been harassing them, too. They don't say anything because they don't want to bring it up."

Read more: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2014/dec/15/76-year-old-victoria-mans-tasing-gains-global-atte/

Related thread:
‘Goddamned Nazi Stormtrooper’: Texas cop Tasers 76-year-old man with expired inspection

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025960537

Video of the incident at http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2014/dec/13/victoria-police-officer-investigated-for-tasing-dr/ .

5 replies, 1029 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Followup: 76-year-old Victoria man's tasing gains global attention (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 2014 OP
Faryn Balyncd Dec 2014 #1
Jackpine Radical Dec 2014 #2
madashelltoo Dec 2014 #3
tblue37 Dec 2014 #4
cannabis_flower Dec 2014 #5

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Dec 15, 2014, 10:49 PM

1. It will probably take global condemnation to have any hope of change.

We have sunken to a pathetic level.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Faryn Balyncd (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:09 PM

2. Migod, Faryn. You're a bigger optimist than Murphy

(of Murphy's Law fame). Since when do the exceptionalism-drenched Power Freaks, from the Chiefs of Staff on down, give a shit about international opinion?

Reply to this post

Response to Faryn Balyncd (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 16, 2014, 01:20 AM

3. International attention means nothing to them.

It's sad, but it is who America has always been. Now they are being caught by technology. What would a dinosaur do if you took his picture? Eat you and your camera. That will be the response of the power drunk authorities.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 16, 2014, 01:34 AM

4. That cop seems to be a serial abuser of citizens. From the article:

I'd hate to see someone else go through the same thing I went through," Vasquez said. "I've been getting a lot of calls and comments from people that this police officer has been harassing them, too <emphasis added>. They don't say anything because they don't want to bring it up."

Certain cops do seem to really enjoy swinging their--uh--authoritah around.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:50 PM

5. Makes me

Embarrassed to be from Victoria

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread